British Accent

Ryan   Tuesday, July 15, 2003, 22:35 GMT
Here is a site that talks about the "intrusive R" :

http://www.ic.arizona.edu/~lsp/RPEnglish.html

"Intrusive R
To an objective observer, the intrusive r is very prevalent in RP. It involves the "insertion of an r-sound at the end of a word ending in a non-high vowel where the next word begins with a vowel.

Examples:

R pronounced

put a comma[r]
the idea[r] of
I saw[r] it happen

R not pronounced

a comma may be added
idea for
I saw them

Trudgill (1999) sees the development of this intrusive r as one of the consequences of r-lessness that developed in more modern British dialects."

Do Brits not realize that they do this?

Ryan
Lana   Tuesday, July 15, 2003, 22:56 GMT
Thanks, Julian

Ha ha, I didn't see that episode, but Lawrence and Andy do seem to go at it sometimes.
Julian   Wednesday, July 16, 2003, 01:26 GMT
> I'm under no impression that britons pronounce Canada like "Canadar". That's the first time I here this statement.

Canada is pronounced "Canada" or "Canaduh", but when it is followed by a word beginning with a vowel, then the last "a" becomes a schwa and the intrusive 'r' is pronounced to break up the vowel sounds.

"I went to Canada in 1992" would sound something like "I went to Canaderin 1992."

Back in the days of "Dynasty", Joan Collins would refer to her co-star Linda Evans as "Linderevans"

And then there's that popular US program called "Loren Dorder" (Law & Order)...

Americans in the Northeastern US tend to do this as well.
David Bosch   Wednesday, July 16, 2003, 03:05 GMT
To Lana and Julian,

In one special episode when Carol and Andy are the designers and Linda and Laurence the host and the timber man; they say Andy is a Cockney or Corkney or something like that. Is here in Brtain some place which's inhabitants are named like that?

Linda:Yorkshire
Laurence:North London
Andy:Cockney or Corkney (that's what I heard)
Carol:don't know, but I think I heard Glasgow

The rest haven't ever been mentioned
Julian   Wednesday, July 16, 2003, 06:00 GMT
To David Bosch,

A true Cockney is "a person born within hearing distance of the bells of St. Mary le Bow."

Linguistically, it's the traditional working-class accent of the eastern section of London (East End, Stepney, Hackney, Shoreditch Poplar and Bow).
Tony   Wednesday, July 16, 2003, 06:31 GMT
To Julian:

I didnt know that the final vowel in a word like Canada could be an "uh" sound. I was always under the impression that words that finish with the "a" vowel always were represented by the schwa phonetic transcription.
Because thats why I always do and I cant do the "linking r" because in Spanish the schwa does not exist and I can only make the "uh" sound to represent the "a" vowel.
Guofei Ma   Wednesday, July 16, 2003, 17:25 GMT
What I mean by "uh" is the schwa. This representation is based on the new "respelling phonetic transcription system" used by the newest edition of the Pocket Oxford English Dictionary, which provides "uh as in Along".
Antonio   Wednesday, July 16, 2003, 20:11 GMT
Ryan:

That ´r´ you mention is the ´intruding r´ , a very RP feature today.
This ´intruding r´ is also called a ´liaison´ and happens to be inserted between vowel sounds,
thus:

I saw it happen => I saw´r´it happen ( sounds like ´I sorry-t happen´ )
That´s the idea of it => that´s the idea´r´of it. ( idea-´rov-it )

I can´t write it in a more representative fashion, sorry.

You hear it all the time.
Ryan   Thursday, July 17, 2003, 01:11 GMT
I wonder why it is there, Antonio, and why Americans don't do the linking r. I just said the two sentences above out loud to myself and I had no problem saying them without an 'r' sound in-between.

Ryan
David Bosch   Thursday, July 17, 2003, 04:50 GMT
Thanks Julian.
Simon   Thursday, July 17, 2003, 14:10 GMT
Americans presumably don't say it because you are used to pronounced the r on the end of words.

I saw AND eyesore sound the same in English English, except perhaps the stress.

But we pronounce the r-sound at the end of 'eyesore' in 'Eyesore is a word of two syllables'.

Therefore by analogy we add the r to words that don't have it.

It's technically wrong but we do it because to us it sounds nice, like the t in French (existe-t-il?)

It must be said that I think our r's in any position are quite weak so inserting an r-sound is not intrusive.

"I taught I tore a puddy tat. I did - I did tore a puddy tat"
- Tweetie Pie's English cousin.
Antonio   Thursday, July 17, 2003, 17:24 GMT

= ´I taught I tore´rah puddy tat. I did - I did tore´ra puddy tat´:-)
Gual   Thursday, July 17, 2003, 23:03 GMT
Hey, I've been wondering for a while...

The Beatles
What kind of British accent did the speak?

It must be some kind of Liverpudlian accent
does anyone has some information about it?

Do you have any kind of tips to imitate it?
Lauren   Sunday, July 20, 2003, 19:53 GMT
Thanks for all the responds everybody! Another question... Im just wondering..... do some of the British people want to learn American accent as much as some of the American people want to learn British accent? or is it just like an American thing wanting to know British accent? :)
Maria   Sunday, July 20, 2003, 23:40 GMT
The song 'Another Brick in the Wall' of the band Pink Floyd is sung in a strong british accent, specially in the part when the children sing.