I could distinguish between Bat and Bet

SagaSon   Sunday, July 13, 2003, 01:56 GMT
a long time ago I have the impressio that I could distinguish between Bat & Bet e and could check the difference (when I was around 14-yr old)).... But thingas have changed.... I can't distinguish the sounds anymore ... Maybe because I forgot to train my mouth ......
DAMN !!!!!
Ashley   Sunday, July 13, 2003, 03:07 GMT
Why can't distinguish bat over bet? the a in bat, is the a sound in the word "cat", bet's e is like how the "e" is sounded in the word fetch.
SagaSon get where I'm getting at?
Can you distinguish between the two now?
Please tell me. Thanks
SagaSon to Ashley   Sunday, July 13, 2003, 03:14 GMT
Bat and Bet form me are the same word ...
I used to think Bad and Bed had the same pronunciation .....

so If I wanna say I am a bad boy I will say that I am a bedboy.
Ashley   Sunday, July 13, 2003, 03:22 GMT
lol if you say you're a bedboy, people would look at you like a lazy person
Ryan   Sunday, July 13, 2003, 15:50 GMT
The 'ae' sound is further back in the throat then the 'e' sound, which is spoken in the middle of the mouth. When saying "bad," just make sure you speak it further back in the throat than when you say "bed." Don't be discouraged because even native speakers combine vowel sounds. In the western United States and western Canada, the words "cot" and "caught" sound exactly the same even though to most speakers they are different vowels.

Ryan
Jim   Monday, July 14, 2003, 01:00 GMT
What about "bit"? Can you distinguish between it and "bet" or "bat"?

The "i" in "bit" is pronounced with your mouth more closed than the "e" in "bet" or the "a" in "bat".

This is the same difference as that between "e" and "a".

The "e" in "bet" is somewhere between the "i" in "bit" and the "a" in "bat".

Open your mouth widely for "bat" and close it for "bet" but don't close it too much otherwise it'll become "bit".

Hope that helps.

A different picture springs to my mind when you say "bed-boy".