Why "Lincoln" is pronounced like Linking???

SagaSon   Sunday, July 13, 2003, 23:24 GMT
English doesn't make sense at all?
Ashley   Sunday, July 13, 2003, 23:41 GMT
SagaSon,
Licoln doesn't sound like Linking, where did you get that from? they have two different sounds to them, and english doesn't always make sence, but if you don't like it, why did you learn it then? tell me that, you have no clue what you're talking about.
bye
Jim   Sunday, July 13, 2003, 23:54 GMT
English makes as much sense as it needs to. What you're saying in this thread doesn't make sense. The "o" in "Lincoln" and the "i" in "linking" represent two different vowels. The "n" in "Lincoln" and the "ng" in "linking" represent two different consonants. Don't just throw your hands in the air and proclaim that the language makes no sense. It's up to you: make sense of it.
SagaSon   Monday, July 14, 2003, 00:22 GMT
I am not offending English language .... I am praising it ....
My speech synthetizer reads "Lincoln" as "Linkin", in that case, is "O" in word "Lincoln" sounds like an EE???
HiyaKiani (to SagaSon)   Monday, July 14, 2003, 00:42 GMT
MM

(I don't mean to be rude so don't be offended if I sound harsh.)

I NEVER confuse the words Lincoln and Linking. I say "LINK-un" (more like "LINK-en") and "LINK-ing" Never confusing at all. I pretty sure that just about every language has similar sounding words or even words that have double/triple/quadruple definitions, especially Japanese (One of my fave languages) Study it or don't study it. Don't degrade it.

By the way, who have you been talking to? Did they pronounce "linking and "Lincoln" they same because they pronounced one of those words wrong.

Ashley, be nice. Don't get attitudes over silly, petty things. He's an English learner and if he doesn't have a clue give him one. Don't be PO-ed about it. And how can he not ask questions?

To both of you: Most of Spanish doesn't make sense to me. That's just because I don't know it all and they talk too fast for me. I don't degrade the language, SagaSon, and I'm never told that I don't have a clue, Ashley.

I hope you guys aren't older than me as I'm 16 and I'm an idiot. (teenager stereotype) You wouldn't want and idiot teaching you common sense now would you?

Anyway, have fun. And good luck on your English, SagaSon.

MP & BB
Kiani
HiyaKiani (to SagaSon)   Monday, July 14, 2003, 00:52 GMT
You wrote your second entry while I was typing my preceding entry. I now know you weren't degrading English and how you came up with the question.

I have a bad way with words and 'degrading' wasn't the word I really wanted to use. (Sorry. Hee hee.)

But really Lincoln and Linking aren't similar on the second syllable.

Kiani
boy   Monday, July 14, 2003, 07:42 GMT
HiyaKiani,

Where are you from? What's your first langugae? Are you a muslim?
Tom   Monday, July 14, 2003, 09:39 GMT
"Lincoln" sounds like "Linkin" (as in "Linkin Park"), but not like "Linking".
silk   Monday, July 14, 2003, 12:35 GMT
After all, can a native give me the pronunciation of "Lincoln". Thanks.
Simon   Monday, July 14, 2003, 13:17 GMT
Lincoln is a town in England, it comes from the Latin 'Lindum Colonia'.

http://www.roman-britain.org/places/lindum.htm

In English English, the second vowel of Lincoln is a schwa and doesn't rhyme with the second vowel of linking. I think you have to be Eminem for the two to rhyme anyway. Would the real Slim Shady please stand up.
Ashley   Monday, July 14, 2003, 14:25 GMT
it's pronounced like ling-ken
Ashley   Monday, July 14, 2003, 14:30 GMT
Sorry SagaSon about getting mad at you, sorry.
Ashley   Monday, July 14, 2003, 20:50 GMT
help you silk?
Clark   Monday, July 14, 2003, 21:02 GMT
Yeah, the "o" in "Lincoln" is like the "i" in "hit," and the second "l" is not pronounced.
Brad   Monday, July 14, 2003, 22:48 GMT
lincoln = linkun
linking = linking