Sneaked v. Snuck and Hanged v. Hung

Clark   Saturday, July 26, 2003, 00:34 GMT
I think that "snuck" and "hung" sound better, but "sneaked" and "hanged" are considered to be correct. Why are "snuck" and "hung" incorrect? How did these words come about?
Ryan   Saturday, July 26, 2003, 01:31 GMT
Personally, I think it's because "sneaked" and "hanged" have awkward consonant sounds at the end of them. Therefore, people decided to change them from "weak verbs" to "strong verbs" for the sake of pronunciation.

Ryan
Lana   Saturday, July 26, 2003, 02:16 GMT
Ryan
My interest was peaked (not puck) by your response and I banged (not bung) my fist on the table ;)
Logan   Saturday, July 26, 2003, 02:57 GMT
What are you on about? I just checked my Oxford...

hang: Has two past tense and past participle forms; hanged and hung. You should use hung in general situations, as in they hung out the washing, while hanged should only be used when talking about executing someone by hanging, as in the prisoner was hanged.

sneak: pt & pp = sneaked, also N. American informal = snuck.

Also I don't think they were verbs that went from weak to strong, I'd say the opposite.

English:
Hang, Hung, Hung
German:
Haengt, hing, gehangen.
mjd   Saturday, July 26, 2003, 04:31 GMT
Hanged and hung have two different meanings (at least as they're generally used. "Hanged" is used when one refers to that method of execution, i.e. hanging.

"The prisoner was hanged at noon."

Hung is the normal past tense of the verb to hang.

"I hung the painting on the wall."
PJ   Saturday, July 26, 2003, 08:43 GMT
If the past of sit is sat, then why isn't the past of sh*t shat?
mjd   Saturday, July 26, 2003, 08:55 GMT
It is, technically. Since it's slang some people say "shit" as the past tense too, but techically "shat" is correct.
L   Sunday, July 27, 2003, 01:37 GMT
The cat shat on the mat is perfectly valid english ;)
Ryan   Sunday, July 27, 2003, 01:54 GMT
Lana, sneak and hang are used in the past much more than peak and bang, although "banged" is probably said quite a bit as well. You have a good point. I don't really know why people pick some words to use over others, but to me those words have strange consonant ending sounds in the past tense. Even though I say "banged" sometimes it still sounds funny.

Ryan
Tremmert   Sunday, July 27, 2003, 19:23 GMT
Have you ever had a moment when you're thinking of a word - in your native language - and you suddenly wonder why that collection of sounds has any meaning? It's like you almost forget the word, although you know what it means...
mojo   Monday, July 28, 2003, 21:47 GMT
humm.. anybody know about this..
stick - stuck - stuck
thats the correct one i think..
but then i search for the word "stucked" in the web (google)
and waah i found alot of sentences using the verb stucked..
which one is correct then.. and what is the explanation?
Ryan   Tuesday, July 29, 2003, 05:30 GMT
I've never heard "stucked" before. Maybe it's some kind of vulgar term that I'm not aware of.

Ryan
blah   Wednesday, July 30, 2003, 03:58 GMT
Well after doing a search for stucked, google said:

Did you mean STUCK?

Also all the sentences were things like "help I got stucked on this blabla"

I would say they were all written by foreign speakers because that is really bad english.