criteria to assess one's listening skills

wingyellow   Tuesday, August 05, 2003, 04:38 GMT
I can understand everything said in Hollywood movies and sitcoms like Friends. But the problem is that I have to pay a certain amount of attention to do so, unlike my native language, in which I can talk to other people, listen to the radio and watch TV at the same time.

And if there is too much noise, my listening of English will be seriously affected.

Is there anyone who is in the same situation? And how good my listening is? Two weeks ago I called a Canadian for business purpose, his english was so easy to understand as if he was speaking my native language to me. Is it because I was a foreigner so that he spoke more clearly? It didn't feel like I was talking in a second language. It felt so good. I guess that is what Tom calls motivation.

Sometimes I cannot understand less educated black. Is it my fault or what?
Imran   Tuesday, August 05, 2003, 10:10 GMT
Dear Wingyyellow
I've just read your message on this forum. Infact,you are not alone in this matter and I reckon it's quite normal as any lingo is difficult to understand
as far as listening skills are concerened.It almost happens with everyone.I myself give a lot of concentration on listening when watching tv.But there is another thing and that is when some native speaker is talking to you directly, he/she is very easy to understand because they are discussing about the matters you are aware of in comparison with talks on tv or radio.
Secondly, on tv they use a lot of technical terms e,g if the movie is about aeroplanes or ships, we can't make head or tail of what they say because so many things of ships and airplanes are unknown to us.So, my advice for you is not to get too hung up about listening.It doesn't matter at all.The most important thing is to communicate.
Imran   Tuesday, August 05, 2003, 10:14 GMT
Dear Wingyellow
I'm sorry I've typed your name wrong.
confused   Tuesday, August 05, 2003, 23:01 GMT
to Imran
Therefore, why listening is so difficult on such exams like FCE? Why do they do their best to make it unimaginably confusing?
wingyellow   Tuesday, August 05, 2003, 23:53 GMT
They want to test if our listening skills are as good as a native speaker.
Imran   Wednesday, August 06, 2003, 08:10 GMT
Dear Wingyellow
I'm afraid I disagree with you as I guess that non native speakers can't compete with native speakers in any way no matter how hard they sweat their blood in learning a lingo as natives have got natural ability of all skills related to that language.That's why I reckon that one can develop remarkable listening skills as well as other basic ones,but he or she can't have listening skills as good as a native speaker because they learn that language at their mothers' knee. So, the purpose of test in my view is only to assess if one can adapt to totaly a new kind of environment in which they will have to communicate theur ideas in a different language.
Sorry for disagreement!
Imran   Wednesday, August 06, 2003, 08:14 GMT
Dear Wingyellow
I'm afraid I disagree with you as I guess that non native speakers can't compete with native speakers in any way no matter how hard they sweat their blood in learning a lingo as natives have got natural ability of all skills related to that language.That's why I reckon that one can develop remarkable listening skills as well as other basic ones,but he or she can't have listening skills as good as a native speaker because they learn that language at their mothers' knee. So, the purpose of test in my view is only to assess if one can adapt to totaly a new kind of environment in which they will have to communicate their ideas in a different language.
Sorry for disagreement!
wingyellow   Wednesday, August 06, 2003, 09:41 GMT
There is a profession called espionage. The spies have to speak like a native speaker and listen every word.
Imran   Wednesday, August 06, 2003, 13:48 GMT
Espionage means spying which doesn't mean speaking or listening like native speakers. Any person can indulge in espionage against their own country.Anyways, the folks you're refering to forget the way they immitate
the native speakers and start speaking in their accent after they're caught
and tortured in jail.
wingyellow   Wednesday, August 06, 2003, 15:42 GMT
My mum is an immigrant and she has just as much listening skill as I have.
Imran   Wednesday, August 06, 2003, 18:26 GMT
Hi Wingyellow
Is your mother native speaker of English?
Guofei Ma   Wednesday, August 06, 2003, 22:50 GMT
I know of one particular Soviet KGB spy by the the name of Vladimir Putin who learnt to speak and write German as fluently as native speakers of that language.
wingyellow   Thursday, August 07, 2003, 05:58 GMT
My mum is from mainland China. She spoke a dialect spoken by less than 10000 people. When she arrived at Hong Kong, she could not speak, hear anything.
Ryan   Thursday, August 07, 2003, 17:12 GMT
Wingyellow, I think the same thing occurs for English-speakers regarding listening to accents. I can understand a standard British accent just fine, but I have to turn my television up a little bit louder when I'm watching soccer matches as I'm not as accustomed to the pronunciation. When I'm listening to CNN or something American like that I can keep the TV pretty quiet and still understand every single word.

Ryan
wingyellow   Friday, August 08, 2003, 03:41 GMT
Ryan,

I am not a native speaker, but I can understand English if it is "standard". So understanding Hollywood movies or soap opera like Friends is not a problem to me.

My problem has nothing to do with the TV volume. It is that I have to pay attention. I cannot do my homework or drive a car while listening to an audio book.

I don't believe that the listening skill of a learner can never be as good as that of a native speaker. Though learners may speak with an accent, listening should never be the problem if they have enough exposure.