Could you all assess my spoken English?

Guofei Ma   Saturday, August 09, 2003, 21:13 GMT
Hello, Wingyellow:

Actually, I can understand everything except for the first few words. Here is what I heard...

"[?] men have been trapped in the mine for seventy hours. If they are not brought to service soon, they will risk their lives."

Do you simply want people to understand you or do you want to speak like a hative Briton or an American? As I have said, if you simply want to be understood, I think your English is good enough.
Guofei Ma   Saturday, August 09, 2003, 21:14 GMT
I apologise for the typo- "Native Briton or American", NOT "hative...".
mjd   Saturday, August 09, 2003, 23:27 GMT
Wingyellow,

I couldn't pick out your accent as being specifically to Hong Kong, but I could tell you were Asian. It's difficult to describe the sound of a foreign accent, but I don't think you should worry about it too much. If your teachers grade on accent, the best thing to do is to mimic American, British, Australian, or whatever you're going for. Do an impression of the accent as you'd do an impression of a person.
mjd   Saturday, August 09, 2003, 23:30 GMT
error:

"as being specific to Hong Kong" (not specifically)...sorry
wingyellow   Sunday, August 10, 2003, 00:08 GMT
First, I want to know if one can "learn" to speak like a native perfectly
if one has never been to any English speaking countries and never made friends with any native speakers. If not, I will stop thinking about the accent thing.
Oliveira   Sunday, August 10, 2003, 02:20 GMT
Hello wingyellow, I have been studying English for one year, so I'd not say I am a great listener of the language, but I can understand a big part of things people say (specially in American accent), and I couldn't understand anything you said in the audio. I know the place you live has a quite different accent from the place I am, but I think you should speak a bit slower. Hope that might help.

By the way, I am from Brazil.
Antonio   Tuesday, August 12, 2003, 17:49 GMT
wingyellow,

I liked your accent. But I would rate it 3... I´M A LOUSY LISTENER, please consider this... Plus, I´m listening to the samples at work, with a headphone not a loud speaker.
Some people said you clipped a lot... well not more than me ;)

I would say that people from HK have their own ´native english accent´, as well as the jamaican, brits or americans, don´t they? I think that because many peolple from HK are indeed british citizens. What do you think about that?

Oliveira,

Fala cara! De onde você é do Brasil? Rio??
welly   Tuesday, August 12, 2003, 22:34 GMT
Wingyellow, your accent is well understandable but not clearly audible probably due to the aforementioned reasons got to do with the recording.

As to what accent it is I think it is Chinese or more broadly Asian but hey that is who u r. Enjoy it! If u however are bent on getting a more typical accent like one of the natives of etc., I believe it is possible. I've never been to England, or the US but speaks with clearly one of the American accents ( not Texan though) and I am coming through with a pretty good British accent, my dream English accent. It's possible.

Sincerely, this is what I thought you said..'Six men have been trapped in the mine for 17hrs, if they are not brought to the surface ____, they may lose their lives'.

Did I almost get it?
wingyellow   Wednesday, August 13, 2003, 03:10 GMT
the missing word is soon.
Where are you from?
Karen   Wednesday, August 13, 2003, 12:10 GMT
Wingyellow,

I can't hear at all, except 17 or 70 hours, the background is too noisy. Don't get upset. You have quite strong Cantonese accent. When I speak English, no one knows I'm from HK, people think I'm from Singapore. I have worked with Singaporean & Malaysian in hotels for few years, perhaps I have 'learned' their accent.
wingyellow   Wednesday, August 13, 2003, 12:50 GMT
Karen,

Then I think I have to do something.
It all turns out to be because of my ears. And I will try some serious training of my ears and tongue. Let's see what I will become in one year's time.
welly   Wednesday, August 13, 2003, 13:14 GMT
Hey wingyellow, I'm from Ghana, West Africa. I bet I almost thought it was 'soon' you said then but wasn't that sure. Anyway, I guess I score something like 24/25 words. It ain't bad, right?
scottish   Wednesday, August 13, 2003, 13:34 GMT
yes, i understood it first time.
Oliveira   Wednesday, August 13, 2003, 15:04 GMT
Antonio,

Not really, I am from an inland city of SP. It would be good to keep in touch with somebody who is near, I guess you're studying English as well, so we could exchange some ideas.
If you agree with that, just let me know.

See you soon,

Oliveira
Antonio   Friday, August 15, 2003, 18:59 GMT
Beleza Oliveira.

Qualquer ajuda, é só pedir.

hugs