generic sentence

wingyellow   Monday, August 18, 2003, 10:02 GMT
By the way, your 16 month old boy should have started to speak. What method do you use to teach him English? Could you upload your accent too?
Saya   Monday, August 18, 2003, 11:50 GMT
Hi! Wingyellow

Ugh! I have wondered if a woman in her nine months pregnancy could write so many messages…but I never would have guessed you were a man. I am very sorry for it. Anyway then we can be more frank. I see, in Hong Kong doctors can tell the gender of babies to be born. It's a way cooler than that in Japan. In Japan we have a word "kyo-iku papa". The word "kyo-iku" means education. So you can guess what the kyoiku papa means. You are a kyo-iku papa even before your boy is born! But I think it is not a bad idea, because good education is the best present you can give to your children.

Have a peaceful night with your wife!
Saya   Monday, August 18, 2003, 11:52 GMT
Hi Karen

Nice to meet you! I am from Japan and a newbie here. So, you are COO of your company. It's nice! I think Japanese are usually far worse at English, especially at speaking. We have only five vowels-a, e, i, o and u. And furthermore Japanese sentences are completely reversed in the word order to English ones. Such linguistic difference may be a reason why Japanese are so bad at English. But the other reason, I think, is that they are reluctant in learning foreign languages, thinking they could survive without knowing them, though I don't know exactly how bad the English skills of your persons is.

Have a nice night with your family!
Karen   Monday, August 18, 2003, 13:34 GMT
wingyellow,

Thanks for telling me my mistake, I will try to pay more attention on it.

I don't know how to upload my accent, do I need to use a mic or something?

I have started talking to my baby in English for few months and he learns very fast. He understands both Cantonese and English but he only speaks single word, e.g. apple, cup, car, No, one, two etc... He speaks more English than Cantonese. He loves to read. If you want to know more about babycare, please let me know. I can share more with you.

By the way, what have you studied in university? language?

Saya,

I'm not COO, I'm a Sales Manager for a US company. My job requires to travel to Japan, Singapore and Thailand.
wingyellow   Monday, August 18, 2003, 14:29 GMT
Karen,

You still can't tell "few" from "a few". Few months means not enough months while a few months means some months. It is very important as the meanings are opposite. And I believe it should be "pay attention to".

Actually I am not worried about my son's accent. My parents speak Cantonese with very heavy accents that my wife cannot understand. But my Cantonese is still accent free. It has something to do with my school life. But it has definitely more to do with TV. As you can notice, vocabulary and intonation of Cantonese have been affected by Stephen Chow to a great extent. People like to imitate how people on TV speak.

My job, I believe, is to build in the grammar of English in his brain naturally like native speakers do. Experts say that if it is built successfully, he can pick up English far more easily in the future even if he has stopped getting any input as a kid (but of course I will keep giving him a lot of input). And this will in turn save him a lot of time, as learning a language is very very time consuming.
wingyellow   Monday, August 18, 2003, 14:34 GMT
Saya,

For Hong Kongers, a person without education is similar to a piece of rubbish. That is the hard truth. I don't want him to make any complaint to me in the future. I don't mind people calling me "education daddy" or any other nicknames. It is not a present. It is a duty.

Could we exchange email addresses? I want you to assess my spoken Japanese.