Accent samples - Deaptor

Tom   Friday, August 15, 2003, 09:54 GMT
Ryan   Friday, August 15, 2003, 13:53 GMT
The vowels all sound really clipped. English speakers draw out their vowels a little more than that. The vowel sound for "dressed" is so clipped it sounds like "drissed." Other than that, most of the words seem to be pronounced correctly.

Just concentrate on making the vowel sounds go a bit longer and you will sound even better. Where are you from, Deaptor? It sounds like somewhere around India.

Ryan
deaptor   Friday, August 15, 2003, 14:17 GMT
Ryan,
Thank you for your comments.
I'm from Russia.
to Deaptor   Friday, August 15, 2003, 16:13 GMT
I'm not a native speaker but I have noticed that you pronounce "r" too strongly. Notice the words "breakfast","dressed" or "party". I also didn't like the pronunciation of the word "was". It's not <vas> but <woz>.
Ryan   Friday, August 15, 2003, 17:06 GMT
Oops, I was pretty far off with my guess where you are from, Deaptor. I guess some of us Americans are too familiar with the stereotype "Boris and Natasha" Russian accent to recognize a real one when we hear it.

Ryan
deaptor   Friday, August 15, 2003, 18:14 GMT
to 'to Deaptor':
I think you're right "was". I grossly mispronounced this word.
Actually, I've been learning English for four years, but before I knew a few hundreds English, and pronounced them like they had been written in German. It is difficult to overcome old bad habbits :-(
As to' 'r', I think I made it too strong in "party"; in the words "breakfast","dressed", 'r' may be also a bit incorrect, but in different way. Perhaps, I move the tongue a little when making 'r', like in German. I would like to hear other people opinion about my 'r'.

Ryan,
I've been living in Russia, Moscow all my life, and my parents are Russians too, but I would not say that my English accent is very typical for Russians. I mean, what is usually portrayed as broad Russian accent is sound a bit different.
BTW, I've provided a link to a voice of one Russian guy who offers American accent training. What do you think about his accent.
Tom   Monday, August 18, 2003, 16:57 GMT
The most important things:

Russian 'r' instead of English [r] -- very distracting
Russian 'z' instead of [TH]
Russian 's' instead of [th]
Russian 'i' instead of English [i] (short i)

You probably made some smaller mistakes as well, but they are completely obscured by those listed above.