Accent samples - Brazilian Guy

Kiwi   Thursday, August 21, 2003, 01:56 GMT
I think I pronounce Mary, marry and merry quite differently, but in my country we do other weird things like making beer, bare and bear all the same.
Ryan   Thursday, August 21, 2003, 03:08 GMT
"Dawn" and "Don" are distinct as far west as Kansas City. People from the upper Midwest like Michigan definitely distinguish them the same way that New Yorkers do. The first time I heard them pronounced the same way was talking on the phone to some people in Wichita (I live around KC now) and I felt embarassed asking about the gender of the person the Wichita guy was talking about.

Midwestern Americans pronounce bear and bare the same but definitely not beer the same way.

Ryan
Brazilian Guy   Thursday, August 21, 2003, 03:44 GMT
Thank you Tom for posting my file and all of you for the details on my pronunciation that you noticed and called my attention to.
Hearing it now I realize that my 'breakfast' really sounds more like a 'brakfast'. Actually, I can't realize very well the difference between the /e/ and /ae/ sounds (like in 'bed' and 'bad').
I think my 'aw' in "thought" is wrong because of the simple and silly mistake of association with 'ou' like in "round" /raund/. Bad habits to get rid of.

Thank you very much for the tips.