Dont bag out australian english

wassabi   Saturday, September 13, 2003, 05:41 GMT
im canadian, i dunno if we realli have much of an accent, but anyways...i luv everysingle accent, every single one is so cool cuz that makeas you totally different. except it is true, brits always hate everyother accent, strange,eh? but whats wrong with the australian accent? nothing!
Henry   Sunday, September 14, 2003, 22:53 GMT
Uh....yes there is something wrong with the uneducated Aussie, its revolting.
mjd   Sunday, September 14, 2003, 22:57 GMT
Uneducated speech in any dialect is usually unpleasant to those who are "educated." There's no need to come out with both guns blazing at the Aussies.
Clark   Monday, September 15, 2003, 01:33 GMT
Here, here! My g-ma always told me that she could tell the difference between educated ad non-educated people. She always felt that educated people just have a better all-around outlook on things, and can express themselvs better than non-educated people.

And my g-ma was not a college educated woman, but I think that she was just as smart as any college-educated person.

Wow, sorry for that. I will get off of my soapbox now.
Jesse. D   Thursday, September 18, 2003, 05:20 GMT
Hi im from Canada and they only time i say "ay" is one your trying to get someone to answer your question "like are we going to smoke a bowl" and if he doesnt reply at first i'll say "ay" but not every second word.
nerdie   Thursday, September 18, 2003, 06:25 GMT
if I had any accent I´d love it:-)
WEll, I like Australian and Irish accent... But did ya guys ever an nglishman speak German??? THIS sounds really cool...
At school we have to learn Oxford English - does anybody in England or somewehere else really SPEAK like that???
Jamie On   Thursday, September 18, 2003, 11:45 GMT
Proof that British people love Aus. accents: Neighbours and Home & Away.
Jim   Friday, September 19, 2003, 00:18 GMT
... or ...

Proof that British people love crappy soaps: "Neighbours" and "Home & Away".
wassabi   Friday, September 19, 2003, 05:06 GMT
to Jessie D.
who said we say "ay"?
Rugger   Friday, September 19, 2003, 05:33 GMT
Australians, mainly Queenslanders, say "ay" (pronounced as in the word hay)and depending on how it's said it can mean "What?" or "Don't you think?" or "Hey!" or "Hello". For eg. "Yea it's really great, ay?" means something like "Yea it's really great, don't you think?".

I think Canadians say "eh".
Bodsta   Friday, September 19, 2003, 14:17 GMT
Henry just in case ur wondering... most of the convicts died and most of them were of british background.. Australia is one of the most multicultural countries in the world so the australian accent has been developed from many nationalaties..
Jack Doolan   Monday, September 22, 2003, 23:49 GMT
As a former Queenslander the bit about the "eh" or "ay" irritates me. I never noticed it particularly until I spent a few months in Cloncurry in the NW of the state (which is 2.5 times the area of Texas). It stuck out like a red nose there (I was going to write 'dog's balls' but I'm too refined).

When I moved back to the central and southern areas the "eh" seemed to disappear. It's only used habitually by those who had trouble finishing high school eh.