Accent samples - Tom speaks British

Tom   Wednesday, August 27, 2003, 19:00 GMT
With apologies to Simon, Chloe, and other Britons in this forum...

http://www.antimoon.com/temp/tom-br.mp3
Hythloday   Wednesday, August 27, 2003, 19:20 GMT
Sounds more Australian to me, mate - especially the "...so ancient that it seemed part..." I'm a Briton and have only heard posh 'put-on' voices like that in Shakespearean productions. Shakespeare, incidentally, spoke a non-standard variety of English.
Alex.   Wednesday, August 27, 2003, 20:41 GMT
Your accent sounds too nasal.
In American-mode, you sound very close to native, but in british-mode you sound fake.

Salu2
mjd   Wednesday, August 27, 2003, 20:48 GMT
Tom,

Since you do such a good American accent, your British accent sounds like an American imitating a British one.
Ryan   Wednesday, August 27, 2003, 23:34 GMT
Tom, your "a" sound is completely wrong. Hythloday is right in that you sound more like an "educated Australian" than a Briton.

I can see how you do accents so well, though. You've done a great job shifting the focus of your voice from more of the back of the mouth where Americans speak it, more to the middle where Britons speak from. This is one of the main criticisms I have when Michal tries to speak with an American accent. He doesn't seem to shift the focus of his voice like you do.

If you can't make enough money from your software, you should consider going into acting. You seem to be a natural.

Ryan
...   Wednesday, August 27, 2003, 23:46 GMT
Great, Tom. At least you sound more natural in Brit mode than the Russian guy. You pronounce /e/ as /ae/ though.
Boy   Thursday, August 28, 2003, 02:24 GMT
Wow, Wow. Tom, you have amazing talent. Don't blow it. Maybe you can earn lots of bugs through acting.
Tom   Thursday, August 28, 2003, 10:52 GMT
> your British accent sounds like an American imitating a British one.

Yup, that's what I thought, too, after listening to my recording. :)
Kiwi   Thursday, August 28, 2003, 11:23 GMT
Ok, from my perspective he sounds English and definitely not Australian!
Antonio   Thursday, August 28, 2003, 12:10 GMT
Tom:

You´ve got some talent really, Tom.
You sound american. You didn´t sound unnatural though.
But I´d say you sound very nasal. Specially in ´themselves´.

´the memories´ sounds more like ´DEmemories´
In ´disturbs´ your ´dis´ isn´t linked very well and I think you are over doing the ´ur´sound in ´turbs´.
Jacob   Thursday, August 28, 2003, 13:38 GMT
Tom, for what it's worth -- I'm American and when I listen to your American samples, I know that you're not a native American speaker (they're excellent, don't get me wrong).

But I could be fooled into believing you're a native British speaker from your British samples because I'm not as intimately familiar with those accents, and yours sounds at least plausible to me.
Marie   Thursday, August 28, 2003, 13:49 GMT
Tom, I'm American and you sound a little different than the Native American speakers.But you are close to sounding American.
I think the Americans can tell you sound different but the non-Americans think you sound American.If I were you I'd keep it up you might have a career in acting.
Tremmert   Thursday, August 28, 2003, 18:13 GMT
Sorry but sounds like an American trying to sound British to me too ;)

And the quote ... is from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
Tom   Thursday, August 28, 2003, 21:41 GMT
Yup.
chloe   Friday, August 29, 2003, 09:17 GMT
You could pass as a British person to some one whos not listening to you totally. I think you sounded a little like Mr Bean for some weird reason. It started of Good but you lost it towards the end I dont speak like that but I have heard very posh people talk like that.