A Russian word choice question

Jacob   Wednesday, September 17, 2003, 01:10 GMT
Can someone explain the difference between
"kontora" and "kabinet"
which are both listed as translations for "office" ? How would you refer to your professor's office at school?

Thanks.
gayfrenchie   Wednesday, September 17, 2003, 02:33 GMT
Hy vot tak

Te idiot. Bam hymen bog.
Jaro   Wednesday, September 17, 2003, 14:01 GMT
I would use the term "kabinet". I don't speak Russian though, but in my mother tongue (which is Slavic) we also have the word "kabinet" and it means professor's office. I don't have a clue what "kontora" might mean.
Jim   Thursday, September 18, 2003, 00:42 GMT
I didn't know that there was such a language as Slavic. I always thought that there were Slavic languages which included Polish, Russian, Sero-Croatian, etc. Have I been wrong all this time?

Another question. How do Russians pronounce "Moscow"? Many Americans seem to pronounce the "ow" as it is in "How now brown cow?" whereas the rest of us, I think, pronounce it as in "Tow slow low crow."

Maybe Russians don't pronounce it either way in Russian, if so how would you pronounce it in English?
mjd   Thursday, September 18, 2003, 00:45 GMT
Jim,

Perhaps Jaro will clear this up, but what I think he was saying was that his mother tongue, which he did not reveal to us, is a Slavic language.
Val   Thursday, September 18, 2003, 09:02 GMT
Jim,
You have been right in thinking of Slavic group of languages. There’s no Slavic language as a separate one.
Russians pronounce the name of their capital MOSKVA in Russian. In English we just follow the way that English speakers sound speaking of Moscow {m∂skou}.
Val   Thursday, September 18, 2003, 09:17 GMT
to Jacob

‘Kontora’ (another word ‘kantseljaria’) is rarely used now in modern Russian. In business language you hardly hear such a word. But I can’t say this word is an archaism. Still it can be applied for ‘an office’ as a jargon.
Speaking of a ‘professor office at school’, it is definitely ‘kabinet’ in Russian.
Jacob   Thursday, September 18, 2003, 10:47 GMT
Thank you, Val & Jaro.