"Coloureds"

Clark   Thursday, September 18, 2003, 17:08 GMT
I have a question concerning these people; what do these people prefer to be called? I have read almost everywhere that they do not like the word "Coloured," but I have never read what it is they prefer. Perhaps they prefer just, "South African?" But what about when they classify themselves like many people do? For example, "I am Estonian and Italian."

I would really appreciate any help. Also, does anyone know of any websites that show pictures of "Coloured People?" I have only seen what I think is a icture of Coloured people, but I am not sure if they were in fact Coloured. And I have seen a picture of a man who had a Coloured father and African mother, but that is the extent of that.
Clark   Thursday, September 18, 2003, 17:09 GMT
That is, " a picture of..."
Clark   Thursday, September 18, 2003, 17:58 GMT
After doing some research, I have answered my own question.
Jamie On   Thursday, September 18, 2003, 21:11 GMT
Don't post racist trash on this forum.
wingyellow   Thursday, September 18, 2003, 23:51 GMT
I don't know why referring to skin colours is racist. I am yellow in skin colour, less vulnerable to ultraviolet than white people.
Clark   Friday, September 19, 2003, 00:05 GMT
Do you really think that I am trying to be racist?
Clark   Friday, September 19, 2003, 00:49 GMT
I am very interested to know why you think I am being racist?
mjd   Friday, September 19, 2003, 02:02 GMT
I think it probably has to do with the term "colored." While the term "people of color" has been deemed politically correct, the term "colored people" is not and is thought to be racist.
Clark   Friday, September 19, 2003, 04:27 GMT
Yes exactly; and this is why I am trying to find out what the people formally known as "Coloured" under the system of Apartheid are now called?
Tremmert   Friday, September 19, 2003, 09:04 GMT
Sorry I don't know the preferred name. I do know thought that many 'bushman' who are natives of the South African area (black people came down from further north) were often classified as 'coloureds' during Apartheid, which they found an insulting generalisation. They prefer to be called the 'San'. Speaking of which has anyone here read any of Tad William's 'Otherland' books? Some very good research there about the San.
Cly   Friday, September 19, 2003, 14:53 GMT
The only people with uncolored skin are black ! Pink is more correct than white.
nerdie   Friday, September 19, 2003, 18:39 GMT
cly´s right I think but in winter we all here in Germany ARE white (except of these who can afford a vacance in Spain)...
I have no problem with the word "coloured" but I REALLY hate "foreigners". Everybody says that one has to be nice to foreigners and that you have to integrate them into the state and such things. But with the word "foreign" they seperate the ethnic minorities (I LOVE this one!) from the others and THATS not what integration should be about!
The funny thing is that I never saw a coloured man, just black and brown ones (I mean - whites are pink when they are born, red when they are angry, blue when they feel cold, grey when they are dead etc. but blacks abre always black - why do we call them coloured then? Black is not a colour actually. I don´t understand this.)
Lou   Friday, September 19, 2003, 19:11 GMT
It seems the world has been trained to see people in boxes. A race box, a colour box, a character box, etc. Why don't we all just see each other as what we are - people.
Boy   Friday, September 19, 2003, 20:35 GMT
[ It seems the world has been trained to see people in boxes. A race box, a colour box, a character box, etc. Why don't we all just see each other as what we are - people. ]

This is the best para I've ever seen by anyone else.
Clark   Friday, September 19, 2003, 20:46 GMT
I just want to clarify that when I said, "Coloured," I meant a group of people that are peculiar to South Africa.

Here is what I have gathered in the last day or two about the COloured people of South Africa:

The Coloured people are traditioanlly the people who are the descendents of Dutch (white) colonists/settlers and the San (and I think Khoi) people (Africans). These people speak the Afrikaans language and are members of the Dutch reformed Church.

Also, under the system of Apartheid, anyone not listed as white, African or Indian was deemed a Coloured. So the Malay people were Coloureds, and people who had a black and white parent would be Coloured unless the child favoured one of its parents more than the other.

This is just what I have gathered. I still have not found out if these people refer to themselves as Coloureds in South Africa or not. But I did read something interesting; after the fall of Apartheid, many whites left the country for fear of reprisals of an all balck government, and for other reasons. The COloureds however, are almost stuck in South Africa because they do not have the financial status as the whites, but they are not considered blacks, so they still cannot get any help from the affirmitive action laws. So if they could leave the country, they would arrive in other countries and be considered black, not Coloured. THis may not seem to be a big deal, but the Coloureds do not see themselves as black.