Martha Stewart's accent real american?

wassabi   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 04:31 GMT
i don't know why but martha stewart's accent seems very proper and almost "im-trying-to-imitate-britain" kind of way. i was wondering if that was how the people in her area talked like or if that was her own way of speaking.
Ryan   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 05:01 GMT
She's from northern New Jersey, but I don't think that's how they talk there. I think she's trying to imitate some high-society Connecticut accent myself. That's where she lives now. She does sound American and not British to me, though.

Ryan
mjd   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 06:52 GMT
She definitely sounds American. I'm from New Jersey, but I wouldn't say Martha's accent is a "Jersey accent." It's difficult to analyze my own accent. I'd say Martha has conditioned herself to talk in an upper-class neutral American accent.
Jamie On   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 09:46 GMT
Why are you all having a go at Martha Stewart?! God, is she really that bad?
mjd   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 22:22 GMT
We were just discussing her accent.
wassabi   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 22:48 GMT
martha rox!
Ryan   Saturday, September 20, 2003, 23:50 GMT
Martha is a criminal.
Clark   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 00:37 GMT
Get over it! I think Martha is a nice person. Maybe I am wrong, but I think everyone needs to focus on what Enron did to the American economy, rather than what Martha Stewart does (or did).
Ryan   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 02:44 GMT
Both Martha and Enron execs are equally bad. They are greedy corrupt Americans who want to screw the common person in order to make themselves rich. They make this country look bad, but I do think they are the minority and not the majority (well, just by a little bit).

Ryan
mjd   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 03:07 GMT
Of course they're the minority. The vast majority of us are middle-class everyday joes.
Clark   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 04:04 GMT
Mjd, I have heard that the middle class of America is shrinking very fast. The rich are getting richer and the poor poorer.
Lynette   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 04:19 GMT
I have heard that the poverty line is actually becoming higher. That would mean that both the rich and the poor are getting richer.
wassabi   Sunday, September 21, 2003, 05:05 GMT
well you have to admit, your economy is really good