I'm lost during watching English channels!

Boy   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 17:33 GMT
Dian,

<<<I am from Indonesia (it is located in South East Asia region, not far from Singapore or Malaysia). Where are you from? I am also impressed with your writing. I think your writing is better than mine.>>>

My pleasure If you think my English is better than yours even though my fingers are refusing for typing this.... :-)

Indonesia, the most populated country of moslems. It is famous for tourism If I'm not wrong, like I used to read too much about 'Bali'. Your country must have been an epic center of beautiful scenery. I'm from Pakistan!
dian   Friday, October 03, 2003, 04:28 GMT
Jamie on, this is the place to learn English or other languages, but mainly to learn English. You should read the rule before posting in this forum. I think you understand what I am writing here. I think wingyello also understand about this rule.

I don't mind if you say that my English is not good. I realize that my English is not good. But, I believe that my English will be better soon, I am trying hard to achieve that. I have tried different methods to learn English. I believe that I will be successful someday with my English. I think I have reached the intermediate level so far. And I will soon reach an advanced level, I am confident about that. After that, we can discuss deeply about many things, in English of course. For now, I don't have enough ability to response well to both of you, Jamie on and wingyello.

But, once again, this is the forum about learning English. So that it is not appropriate to discuss about killing people, laziness, etc. We can meet in another forum.

Sorry, I have written too much this time. For most of you, it is useless. But for me, it is part of learning English. As part of learning English, I have to write as much as possible. I am not worried about being said have written useless things. But, I can argue that writing as much as possible is one of many processes of learning.

As usual, I invite native speaker to correct my English. I am happy to receive any critiques about English.
dian   Friday, October 03, 2003, 04:52 GMT
Hi, Boy from Pakistan!

You know that Bali is more famous that Indonesia, even though it is part of Indonesia. Even some people still don't know where Indonesia is, even though they have been to Bali before.
mjd   Friday, October 03, 2003, 04:56 GMT
Dian,

I think you're overly critical of your English. Sure I can tell you're learning, but there's nothing wrong with that and you don't write that bad.

If I had to make some suggestions:

Watch for the difference between the verb "to respond" and the noun "response." I can "give a response" or I can "respond" to someone.

You wrote: "I have tried different methods to learn English. I believe that I will be successful someday with my English. I think I have reached the intermediate level so far. And I will soon reach an advanced level, I am confident about that."

One thing that will help your writing would be combining sentences into compound sentences and using transitions. It's common for anyone learning a foreign language to begin a lot of sentences with "I." You can condense these sentences without beginning each one with "I." This will make your writing much smoother.

"In the future I hope to be successful with my English, thus I have tried using different methods to help me learn. While I currently consider myself to be at the intermediate level, I am confident that I will soon be advanced."

All of this comes with practice, but it's never to early to start learning good habits, especially when studying a foreign language.
Boy   Friday, October 03, 2003, 06:21 GMT
mjd,

How you native speakers find out mistakes. When I read hispost, I did not find anything wrong in his writing. The only mistake that I found out. He used subject noun again and again instead he could use its pronoun.

Original:

"..... I don't mind if you say that my English is not good. I realize that my English is not good. But, I believe that my English will be better soon, I am trying hard to achieve that....."

Rephrased:

"..... I don't mind if you say that my English is not good. I realize that IT is not good. But, I believe that IT will be better soon, I am trying hard to achieve that....."

Dian,
I knew that what Bali was and where It was located.
Boy   Friday, October 03, 2003, 06:30 GMT
Dian,
Take it easy. :-) No hard feelings.

Mjd,

As a native speaker, would you like to rephrase it for Dian as well as me.

"...You know that Bali is more famous that Indonesia, even though it is part of Indonesia. Even some people still don't know where Indonesia is, even though they have been to Bali before..."

Thanks.
mjd   Friday, October 03, 2003, 06:33 GMT
Boy,

Well it's easy because I'm a native speaker. (I think I remember you saying your from Pakistan....if I'm wrong I apologize). If I were to try to learn Pakistani, I'd probably make similar mistakes to what Dian did and you'd be able to pick them out just as easily as I did in English.

Think of your own language and how you write it. You use transitions and connect sentences smoothly. Just apply that style to English. While syntax is different, as are a million other things, all languages have transitions etc.
mjd   Friday, October 03, 2003, 06:38 GMT
"...You know that Bali is more famous that Indonesia, even though it is part of Indonesia. Even some people still don't know where Indonesia is, even though they have been to Bali before..."

I'll give it a try:

"Did you know that Bali is more famous than Indonesia, even though it is actually part of Indonesia? In fact, some people who have been to Bali do not know where Indonesia is."
mjd   Friday, October 03, 2003, 06:51 GMT
spelling error.....you're from Pakistan (not your)
Boy   Friday, October 03, 2003, 06:52 GMT
Mjd,

Yes, your had an Einstein memory. You got me there!

Though I have to make a serious correction for English speakers.

The native language of Pakistan is Urdu not Pakistani (A Pakistani is called to be a citizen). Wasn't that a funny mistake? :-)

Jamie on,

Please never use "pakistanian" for "pakistani'. It is so uneducated. Folks from my country will definitely have a fight with you. I forgot to mention it earlier.

P.S:

mjd, You'd not feel bored If you tried to learn me. It'll be an equally thrilling exprience as you get it for learning a different language. :-)
mjd   Friday, October 03, 2003, 06:54 GMT
Thanks for informing me about Urdu. I didn't know that.
dian   Friday, October 03, 2003, 06:57 GMT
Thank you for revising my writing, mjd.

mjd, when you read my long sentences, what do you feel? Do you feel that it is strange? I think, for me, it is fine if you feel strange about my writing, as long as you don't feel it is wrong. Do you feel strange when seeing my writing, or you feel it is wrong.
Boy   Friday, October 03, 2003, 06:58 GMT
My pleasure. Nobody is perfect.
mjd   Friday, October 03, 2003, 07:03 GMT
Dian,

I don't think sentence length is a problem in your case. Watch for the overuse of personal pronouns and nouns and study English transition words.....therefore, thus, however, in addition, while, etc. etc.
Jamie On   Friday, October 03, 2003, 09:07 GMT
<<Please never use "pakistanian" for "pakistani'. It is so uneducated. Folks from my country will definitely have a fight with you. I forgot to mention it earlier. >>

I never did, so fuck you.