cursing question

Jack Doolan   Thursday, October 16, 2003, 01:54 GMT
These words are not curses, they are merely obscenities or perhaps blasphemies. "Fuck" is an obscenity, "bloody" is a blasphemy since is it a contraction of "by Our Lady" which sets Catholic but not Protestant teeth on edge.

A curse is usually a phrase magically or religiously calling something bad down. ("What's the difference between magic and religion?", I hear you cry. Wish I knew.)

Examples - "May you live in interesting times." said to be Chinese and the Arab or mock-Arab curse "May the fleas of a thousand camels infest you pubic hair".

Don't use euphemisms. "Moron". "idiot" and "imbecile" mean people of grossly subnormal intelligence and each one once had a precise meaning. These got euphemised to "subnormal" then when that wasn't euphemistic enough it became "mentally challenged" and more recently and more euphemistically "differently challenged". But they are still morons, idiots and imbeciles. Likewise "gays" are either boring people or homosexuals (some people might say that homosexuals are boring).
Rugger   Thursday, October 16, 2003, 07:29 GMT
I say "swear words/swearing" instead of "curse words/cursing".
gary   Thursday, October 16, 2003, 16:10 GMT
Rugger
Is 'shut up' a wear word ?
gary   Friday, October 17, 2003, 01:14 GMT
Sorry I meant a "swear word"
Rugger   Friday, October 17, 2003, 05:16 GMT
I would consider "shut up" to be more a statement/exclamation than a swear word.
gary   Friday, October 17, 2003, 19:47 GMT
Rugger
So, it's not too rude to say shut up to someone ?
The other day I said to one of my pupils : "shut up" and I regreted to have said it.
mjd   Friday, October 17, 2003, 19:58 GMT
Gary,

It depends on who you're saying it to. It can be said in a joking way to a friend, but it can also come out sounding very rude. In a classroom environment, I'd say it's probably best to avoid the use of "shut up."
Rugger   Friday, October 17, 2003, 23:38 GMT
You could have said "be quiet", which, even in an angry tone, would be considered less abrupt and impolite than "shut up".
gary   Saturday, October 18, 2003, 04:10 GMT
Thanks for your help mjd and Rugger