Word Ma'am

Richard   Saturday, October 25, 2003, 01:21 GMT
Calling your father ''daddy'' just because you think dad sounds like dead, it doesn't, and I wouldn't use daddy as a substitute.
Richard   Saturday, October 25, 2003, 02:51 GMT
At what age do you think children usually stop calling their parents mommy and daddy and start calling them Mom and Dad. It sounds crazy for people over 20-years-old to be calling their parents mommy and daddy
Richard   Saturday, October 25, 2003, 02:52 GMT
Weird, I guess because ma'am sounds like mom in Britain, this has led into a totally different topic.
Hello.   Saturday, October 25, 2003, 03:52 GMT
Don't address anyone under 200-years-old as ma'am, hahahahahahahaha, lol, just kidding.
Hello   Saturday, October 25, 2003, 03:54 GMT
Don't address anyone under 100,000,000,000,000-years-old as ma'am, lol, just a joke.
A.S.C.M.   Saturday, October 25, 2003, 07:03 GMT
"Chouchou" is actually a French word and it means the favourite, pampered child of a family. I'm an only child so of course I'm a chouchou in my immediate family but I'm also the chouchou of my extended family. "Chouchou" can also mean "teacher's pet" and I also cannot deny that I fit this definition.

I was hoping that some French person on Antimoon would spare me from defining "chouchou".
French person   Saturday, October 25, 2003, 08:43 GMT
cabbagecabbage
Sima   Saturday, October 25, 2003, 14:20 GMT
A.S.C.M.
yes, of course I know the French word but I had no idea American use it. (I don't know if you are American but my American friend has never used this word).
In French, the word comes from 'chou'. They have chouchou and chouchoute.
zi   Saturday, October 25, 2003, 14:29 GMT
British Maria
<I think mummy and daddy are lovely words! <

Richard
<mommy and daddy are baby-talk. It just sounds weird for a 21-year-old to call their mother ''mommy'' or they're father ''Daddy''.<

My American boyfriend and I were watching an American movie. There was this girl at her late twenties who called her father "daddy". My friend told me that there was something wrong for a girl of this age to call her father daddy.
Peggy   Saturday, October 25, 2003, 14:34 GMT
To Rugger
<Frankly, I find it more weird hearing people call their parents by their first names. Other than that, I don't care what other people call their parents, whether it be "mum/dad", "mummy/daddy", "ma/pa", "mamma/pappa", etc., because in the end they are just titles for ones parents.<

I was in Iran, in Zagros mountians last Summer and I heard children calling their parents by their first names. I found it lovely and endearing. These kids respected and loved their parents and for me there was nothing wrong with that.
Richard   Saturday, October 25, 2003, 14:46 GMT
Would it sound crazy for a 100,000,000,000,000-year-old to call their father ''daddy''. Daddy is baby-talk for dad.
Richard   Saturday, October 25, 2003, 15:01 GMT
I wonder, What did children in Ancient Times call their mother and father. Did they just call them by their first names then and if so, why did they suddenly start calling them, by Mom/dad, ma/pa, mama/papa/ pop, or Mother/Father. Daddy is baby-talk, ''dad'' is what I call my father. Yep, to me it sounds crazy for someone in their late twenties or even early twenties to call their father ''daddy''.
messire lavoisel   Saturday, October 25, 2003, 15:14 GMT
I hardly hear "chouchou" in everyday life in France. When I was in secondary school people were always using "fayot", "fef" or "fefon". It is a much more derogative term, as it not only means that you are the teatcher's favourite, but also that you are willing to be it, give all you can and will do anything to remain it.
So it is limited to the acceptation "teatchers' pet", contrary to chouchou which is the word also used by people who don't mean to be offensive.
British Maria   Saturday, October 25, 2003, 18:18 GMT
I would feel uncomfortable calling my mum and dad by their first names, most probably because I have never done it before...It would just seem very strange because you would be treating your mum and dad as normal, everyday people, when really they're that little bit more special! I think parents like to be called mummy and daddy or mum and dad by their kids. I know I would rather be called mummy by my kids (If and when I have any!) then by Maria.
zi   Saturday, October 25, 2003, 18:54 GMT
To Richard
<I wonder, What did children in Ancient Times call their mother and father. Did they just call them by their first names then and if so, why did they suddenly start calling them, by Mom/dad, ma/pa, mama/papa/ pop, or Mother/Father. Daddy is baby-talk, ''dad'' is what I call my father. >

Richard, I believe even in the US parents were called 'Sir' and 'Madam' by their children in the beginning of the last century. As for the ancient times when human beings had no names, I believe children just shouted to attract their parents attention.