what do u think about my English?

Rasheed   Monday, October 27, 2003, 09:57 GMT
Hello
I am Rasheed, my mother tonque is Arabic.
Arabic is totally different than English so that I encounter a big difficulty to learn English, specially in uderstanding native speakers and in prononsing English words as like native speakers even I am very interested to learn this international language which helps me too much in my work( I am a mechanical Engineer)because it is the only language I can use to communicate with suppliers over the world.
My questions are:
1. Depanding on the few lines I wrote above, what do you think about my english?
2.What is the best way to improve my saying and my understanding?
3.Which is correct to say( I want to learn English) or ( I want to learning English)? And what is the rule of this?
Thenks and best regards for all
Rasheed   Monday, October 27, 2003, 09:59 GMT
sorry for my mistake( i am very interested) i wanted to say ( i am very interesting)
Lou   Monday, October 27, 2003, 11:15 GMT
Rasheed, I think you communicate really well already. I am a native speaker. A tip: if you want to know what goes with certain words, a dictionary can help you. The Oxford Advanced Learner't Dictionary says, in the sense you used 'different', that you should use from or to. So, it would be 'Arabic is totally different from/to English. I would also say, 'I am encountering great difficulty in learning English. 'I am encountering' I would use because that is the situation at present, that's what's going on now.

Your statement 'I am very interested' is correct, but afterwards you should say, ' in learning English. If you say, ' I am very interesting', you mean that you yourself are a very interesting person, which I don't doubt, but that isn't what you wanted to say.

1. As a native speaker, I can understand very well what you wanted to say, but, of course, you want to improve and use the language correctly, especially as you use it for your job.

2.Reading is always a good idea to improve language. Use a dictionary too, an English-English one - you can also find dictionaries on the internet - , and if possible, speak to a native speaker as often as possible. You should also study the grammar, and if you don't have a good grammar book, you should try and get one. 'The good grammar book' is very helpful, although I don't have mine with me at the moment so I can't give you the author or ISBN no., but you can perhaps find it on the internet. I use www.google.com to find everything I want.

3. I want to learn English is correct. The first verb is want, so the following verb is the infinitive with to. A good grammar book will give you the different verb patterns, when to use the infinitive and when to use -ing, as in 'I like swimming in the sea.' There's no way round, you have to study a lot and really learn if you want to improve.

I wish you all the very best. Hope this helps you.
Mr. X   Tuesday, October 28, 2003, 04:25 GMT
Salam Rashid,

Your English is good. However, one thing that I noticed is that you need to work on your spellings. And, probably need to build up vocabulary and proper usage of words.

Best way is to practice by writing English prose using softwares like MS Word which check spelling and grammar mistakes as you type. You can also download an small dictionary on your computer which you can use whenever you want to know the meaning of the word or it's synonyms. You can use this one: http://wordweb.info/

Good Luck!