Hello or Hi ?

Alexander Graham Bell   Saturday, November 01, 2003, 15:11 GMT
Guess how many people are nowadays using my invention.
Today   Sunday, November 02, 2003, 01:07 GMT
about 6 billion
rik   Sunday, November 02, 2003, 01:08 GMT
Just out of curiosity : how do you greet in Chinese ? Do they say something like hello ?
pooh   Sunday, November 02, 2003, 01:10 GMT
I tried to say Hello everywhere I went last time I was in London and quite surprisingly most people, in my hotel for example, greeted by Hi.
yalda   Sunday, November 02, 2003, 01:14 GMT
Ah, les clichés !
Alexander Graham Bell   Sunday, November 02, 2003, 01:32 GMT
As many people on the planet as there are now, that many people are using telephones. My invention sure has improved after when I first invented it. I remember Santa Claus got a telephone right after I invented them.
Antonio   Monday, November 03, 2003, 11:34 GMT
Simon:

Yes. ( rude )

Actually, I get confused and lose some time thinking of what to do whenever someone answers the blower with a simple ´yes´.
Simon   Monday, November 03, 2003, 11:44 GMT
People who answer the phone immediately freak me out.
Simon   Monday, November 03, 2003, 11:47 GMT
innit = is it not OR don't you think (like n'est-ce pas in Dutch)
squire = a word for "sir" used by bus and taxi drivers

Both are stereotypical of cockneys.
Richard   Monday, November 03, 2003, 14:36 GMT
I once knew this person that never answered their phone and just waited until the answering machine came on. So, I guess they'd just answer, I don't say anthing, because I don't ever answer the phone. Answering the phone with ''what's up'', You don't know who's calling, Suppose the police were calling, Would you answer the phone with ''what's up''. That person that I was talking about didn't answer the phone, they just listened to messages. I don't know, they might not have even had their ringer on.
to Richard   Monday, November 03, 2003, 16:51 GMT
"Answering the phone with ''what's up'', You don't know who's calling, Suppose the police were calling, Would you answer the phone with ''what's up''."

That's why we get caller ID, buddy.
Antonio   Monday, November 03, 2003, 17:01 GMT
So, Simon... you want to quit your current job and become a taxi driver, huh? I Adam and Eve that´s the reason why yer already using yer new vocabulary, inni wite maih!?
Simon   Monday, November 03, 2003, 17:34 GMT
Indeed... I have trouble sleeping at night. Are you talking to me?
Antonio   Monday, November 03, 2003, 18:48 GMT
Simon:

Yes. You are the only Simon here, innit?
By the way, quit coffee before you quit your job. You will see you sleep better.
zi   Monday, November 03, 2003, 19:50 GMT
to Simon
You mean like in French /n'est-ce pas/ not Dutch. Innit ?