Spelling reform

Richard   Saturday, November 08, 2003, 15:07 GMT
They made distinguishments between the -ed endings on words and the -es and -s endings. the -ed endings would be reformed to either -d -t or -id. The -es endings would be reformed to -iz. The -s endings would be reformed to -s or -z.

cats-kats
dogs-dogz
churches-churchiz
mopped-mopt
spelled-speld
posted-poestid
Richard   Saturday, November 08, 2003, 22:09 GMT
There is only one spelling reform that I know that keeps the appostrophies in the contractions, it's the spelling reform. This spelling reform and many others don't keep the appostrophies in the contractions, but without appostrophies the contractions would look crazy.
Richard   Saturday, November 08, 2003, 22:39 GMT
It's the spelling reform, lol, I mean it's the ''Fanetiks'' spelling reform.
Richard   Saturday, November 08, 2003, 22:58 GMT
yep, I guess this spelling reforms definitions of long vowels and two-letter sounds comes straight out of kindergarten.

This spelling reform respells kindergarten as ''kindurgartun''.
Truespel respelled it as ''kindergaardin''.
Richard   Sunday, November 09, 2003, 12:50 GMT
they respell ''balm'' as ''bolm'' because they said if they spelled it without the ''l'' it would make a useless homonym for bomb. a balm heals. a bomb destroys.
Richard   Sunday, November 09, 2003, 22:26 GMT
Oh, about the rare ''ch'' sound in ''loch'' and also comes in ''chanukah'', they were talking about that sound and they spelled it ''kh''. ''chanukah'' meaning hanukah they'd respell ''khonuku''. they respell ''hanukah'' as ''honuku''.
They call that sound a rare English sound.

The current spelling system we have ignores the ''schwa'', and a lot of spelling reforms I've seen, continue to ignore it. the fact that the ''schwa'' is ignored causes some people to mispronounce ''photograph'' as pho-toe-graph instead of pho-tuh-graph. and they mispronounce ''neighbor'' as nay-borr.
Richard   Sunday, November 09, 2003, 22:29 GMT
They call the ''kh'' sound, one of the non-English sounds.
Richard   Monday, November 10, 2003, 02:25 GMT
''kh'' sound is very rare.
Jim   Monday, November 10, 2003, 04:43 GMT
Very rare but it still exists and I wouldn't even call it a "non-English" sound. Rare or common it's worth keeping. We use "q" for transliterations from languages with an unvoiced uvular stop why not keep it inspite of the fact that most English speakers don't use this sound?
Jim   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 07:49 GMT
Just wondering ... in the system described here what do they do with "furry" and "curry"?

It seems that they'd have to have "furee" and "kuree" but this won't do because they don't rhyme.

In my system I'd have "fury" and "curry" but this won't cause confusion because I'll respell "fury" (anger) as "feurry"
Richard   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 19:51 GMT
Furry is respelled ''furee'' hurry-''huree'' curry-''kuree'', fury-''fueree, huricane-hurikaen blurry=bluree
Jim   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 00:20 GMT
But you see how this fails to work, don't you? I mean, in the system we use "furry" and "curry" are spelt as if they rhymed but we're all used to the fact that this system is not phonemic.

Surely, if you wanted to reform spelling, you'd want to replace our non-phonemic system with a phonemic one. You'd want to get rid of code overlaps like this, these so called "eye rhymes".

These words "furry" and "curry" don't rhyme, any decent spelling reform should reflect that fact in orthography.

Whilst I'm at it, what about "perfect" the noun and the verb? Okay, in traditional orthography there is no distinction made but in pronunciation there is. Shouldn't a reformed spelling show this distinction?

The system described here has them both respelt as "purfekt". My suggestion is to write the verb as "perfect" and the noun as "purfect", thus they'd be distinguished.
Richard   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 01:44 GMT
Short vowels
a-short vowel sound in cat, mat, bag.
e-short vowel sound in bed, egg, ten, dead, get, many.
i-short vowel sound in bid, bit, pit, hint, fish.
o-short vowel sound in cot, hot, dot, wash, father, tot, caught, shot.
u-short vowel sound in cut, hut, hug, son, ton, honey, money, alike.

Long vowels
ae-long vowel sound in plate, late, bait, eight
ee-long vowel sound in speed, beat, meat, read, field,
ie-long vowel sound in spider, guy, wide, fly, cry, light.
oe-long vowel sound in boat, coast, post, ghost.
ue-long vowel sound in few, mute, beautiful.

Two letter sounds
Oi- boy, toy, coin, join.
oo-two, who, tutu, suit, super, moon, new, boot, rude.
ou-cow, how, wow, brown, mount.
uu-cook, should, would, wood. book

R vowel sounds.
ar-car, Mars, tar, far, star.
er-care, air, hair, very, hairy, marry, terror.
eer-steer, hear, beer, pier.
or-four, core, corn, for, your, ford, poor cord, tour, torn.
our-flower, sour, flour, shower, our, tower.
ur-burn, girl, learn, Earth, curve, sure, butter, burger, curry, furry

Consonants
b-bag
ch-chin
d-dog
f-free
g-get never in words like gym.
h-height never silent
j-jet
k-kite, cat.
l-lick
m-might
n-night
ng-finger, sing, thing, stung for words like think and tank, the g is left out.
p-plane
q-not used
r-rust
s-stove, sit
sh-ship, hush
t-tiger
th-thing, that
v-vehicle
w-wing, when
x-not used
y-yes never in words like fly or happy.
z-zag
zh-vision

Non-English Sound
kh-chanukah, loch
Richard   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 01:46 GMT
Truespel doesn't make any furry and curry distinction either, they spell them ''feree'' and ''keree''.
Richard   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 02:50 GMT
In the system describe here ''feree'' is how ''fairy'' is spelled.