Difficult Site To Read

dian   Friday, November 07, 2003, 06:48 GMT
Several weeks ago, I wrote about how difficult I was when reading www.rottentomatoes.com website. And I also said that www.bbc.co.uk is easier to read.

But, now I realize that reading a movie review is difficult. I have just found a movie review section on www.bbc.co.uk/films. When I read several movie reviews from bbc online, I realize that it is as difficult as www.rottentomatoes.com. Writers from both sites use many words I am not familiar with.

One of the suggestions that I get about vocabulary improvement, we should guess the meaning of unfamiliar words from context before consulting our dictionary. Is there any technique that we can use to guess the meaning of a word? May be there are some tips or tricks that I can use.

Thank you.
Tremmert   Friday, November 07, 2003, 09:20 GMT
Well it might have the same root as another word - eg if you know the word 'happy' and the suffix 'ness' you could probably guess 'happiness'.
Boy   Friday, November 07, 2003, 13:32 GMT
Negative and postive sound of a word. This thing you get from reading the context in which this unfamiliar word is used. I just finished reading a novel and I tell you, Dian, you can not only learn idoms, expresssons, but also slang and short conversation dialogues. On top of that, you can have fun at the same time. I underlined all difficult words while reading even without concerning a dictionary and now I start looking them up in a dictionary and planning to read the novel again and by applying definitions of all the words.
I did not know 50-60 words in the whole novel but surprisingly I understood the whole novel without any hustles. Dian, I also recommend you reading a novel and then you'll see a big difference towards collecting new words and towards improving your English. I just guessed the meaning of those words like how they were used in the context and in what situation speakers spoke them and what sort of facial expression they could have. By applying all this sort of thing, I guess, you can learn the meaning of a new word even without concerning dictionary. Although the best thing is for you to look up every new in the dictionary for a better understanding and once you do it, you'll feel more confident so far as word using of word is concerned.
Boy   Friday, November 07, 2003, 13:43 GMT
Corrections: ...even without concerning the dictionary....
...every new word....
... so far as using of word....
leowang   Saturday, November 08, 2003, 15:19 GMT
it doesn;t matter. i always meet across new words, i just slip away. it seldom makes misunderstandings. just read it.