Accent sample - Ashley

Tom   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 12:07 GMT
At first I was undecided about whether the speaker was American, but after
three listenings I decided that she was. The pronunciation of "the" and "something" sounded nonstandard, true, but the pronunciation of "there", "older", "like", and "scarce" was a giveaway. The [ai] in "like" was pronounced a bit like [ei] -- such regional features are typical of native speakers.

BTW, does anyone know what the third word in the recording is?
I'm Chinese   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 12:48 GMT
Ashley,

I would like to have your script and do a recording and let you people comparing. I believe I can imitate your accent because you sound same as my maid.
Chris   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 14:32 GMT
I was thinking of sending my own file but after reading all you comments I'll think twice! hehehhee
Actually, I don't know how to do it, I will appreciate any help about it, thanks
Ashley   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 21:00 GMT
I have a picture to prove i'm not chinese ect.
|||   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 21:38 GMT
She has a horrible pronunciation.
It is not pleasant to listen her.
Period.
Bladez   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 21:42 GMT
then dont bastard, go jack ur dick or something ur not even an american anyways, not native
Ashley   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 22:13 GMT
My god, I wouldn't be able to talk to anybody if I didn't know how to talk english, I'm from Minnesota, United States, you're just not use to hearing a northern accent that's all
Bladez   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 22:20 GMT
hes just used to hearing his moms accent every night as the sleep together :P
Ryan   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 23:06 GMT
I have no idea what the third word of her passage is, Tom. It sounds like the book she is reading is a kids' book. It's definitely not a classic of American literature that I would expect students in this country to be reading by the time they get to high school.

I'm sure Ashley sounds a lot different when she's actually speaking to her friends instead of reading, and probably more like what people think of as an "American accent."
Ashley   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 23:11 GMT
Should i record my voice without reading?
John   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 23:15 GMT
It would help.
Ashley   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 23:18 GMT
Alright
Ashley   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 23:39 GMT
I sent another one to Tom, this time I didn't read, maybe it will be easier because I didn't have to worry about looking at words
Ashley   Friday, November 14, 2003, 00:30 GMT
When he uploads it to the site, I can tell there is a difference, I pronounce words better when I'm not reading, and I am for sure an American, I was born in Minnesota and have been growing up in Minnesota, and english is my native tongue
Pentatonic   Friday, November 14, 2003, 01:21 GMT
Tom, the third word is "Hangletons". She is reading from the first page of Harry Potter, and the Goblet of Fire:

"The Little Hangletons all agreed that the old house was 'creepy.' Half a century ago, something strange and horrible had happened there, something that the older inhabitants of the village still like to discuss when topics for gossip were scarce."