What do Yanks think of English English?

Antimike   Monday, November 17, 2003, 22:59 GMT
How many fucking times do we have to hear this shit? Yes, we know there are many British accents. Now quit your whining.
Miguel   Tuesday, November 18, 2003, 18:12 GMT
are there? I didn't know
Simon   Wednesday, November 19, 2003, 09:36 GMT
Bang go bang to the batmobile.
LA   Friday, November 21, 2003, 04:00 GMT
I have American friends here in NZ, and they can't tell the difference between aussie/kiwi and even british accents!!!!!!
Juan   Friday, November 21, 2003, 06:12 GMT
I can't tell the difference b/w a Canadian an a Gringo. They both sound the same to me. I guess it might have something to do with them not being exposed with that kind of accent before.
Eastie   Friday, November 21, 2003, 09:18 GMT
Doesn't the term "gringo" apply to anybody who's WASP'y (and not just Americans)?
Juan   Friday, November 21, 2003, 10:47 GMT
What's a WASP? I'm assuming that you are not talking about the insect.
Eastie   Friday, November 21, 2003, 22:59 GMT
WASP = White Anglo-Saxon Protestant
Clark   Saturday, November 22, 2003, 00:08 GMT
WASP is a bit of a misnomer. I mean, if you look white in America, you are essentially labelled as a WASP. For instance, your parents could be Russian, but they moved to America before you were born, and you would be considered a WASP.

However, I guess that happens with just about everyone in America; Native American, African-Americans, Indian-Americans, Asian-Americans and European-Americans or course.
Clark   Saturday, November 22, 2003, 08:01 GMT
Does anyone know what this word means in English, "Norðurlandamálin."

The word is in Icelandic, and it has something to do with language (it could be the name of a language possibly).
Bayou Rover   Saturday, November 22, 2003, 11:27 GMT
I only know that norður means north.
Bayou Rover   Saturday, November 22, 2003, 12:09 GMT
Perhaps it is something to do with Northern European Languages. I am not really sure about it. Um...no, I guess it is a separate language.

"Á geisladiskinum eru því ekki einungis Norðurlandamálin, heldur einnig
enska, franska, þýska, hollenska, ítalska, spænska og portúgalska"

Err..."not only (Norourlandamalin), rather also English, French, (þýska: German?), Italian, Spanish and Portuguese."

Norður means north, landa means land but I can't figure out málin. Hey, mál means language.
Clark   Saturday, November 22, 2003, 20:07 GMT
Maybe it means a dialect of Icelandic? I thought, "tungamal" meant language? I can see that this word has "mal" in it, but I wonder why you have taken away, or why I have added :-)
Clark   Saturday, November 22, 2003, 20:11 GMT
Ah, I think the "-in" means "the."

So, The Northman's language" is what it could be. But as for its true meaning...eg ved ekki :-(

That last phrase there was Danlandic. The "eg" and "ekki" are Icelandic whereas the "ved" is Danish.
Julian   Saturday, November 22, 2003, 23:21 GMT
(Posted earlier in the wrong thread, sorry!)

Clark,

I did a bit of research and gathered that "Norðurlandamálin" refers to the Nordic (Scandinavian) group of languages. "Norðurlandanna" is the Icelandic word for Scandinavia, "Norðurlöndin" are the Nordic people.