Anyways or Anyway

zi   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 12:38 GMT
thanks Jacob
Miguel   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 19:13 GMT
"anyways" is wrong
Richard   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 21:01 GMT
''anyways'' is not in the dictionary anyway/s.
Clark   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 21:24 GMT
Jacob, I think that you are wrong in your assumption that it sounds "folksy" to use "anyways." I live in Souther California with a large population of Mexican[-Americans]. Most of the children or g-children of the immigrants speak fluent English and less fluent Spanish. Why do I tell you this? Because to me, why would they want to sound "folky?" I mean, when you say "folky" I think of rednecks and bluegrass music. And it is not just Mexican-American people who use this; many people younger than me who are trendy and hip say "anyways" all the time.

I am not arguing that "anyways" is correct, I am just saying that people use it all the time and it is not a bad thing as you alluded to in one of your posts.
Clark   Saturday, November 15, 2003, 21:33 GMT
Jacob, this is what you said on Saturday, November 15, 2003, 01:26 GMT
" 'Anyway' is correct. The other is just bad form; avoid it."

And while I am thiking about it, I have heard more than just young people use it, but my parents, people my parents' age, people at school, teachers, people who work in office buildings, etc.
LA   Sunday, November 16, 2003, 12:30 GMT
I was once told that there is no such word as towards, and that only toward should ever be used but it sounds really strange to me. Btw I think anyways is mainly a north america thing.
Richard   Sunday, November 16, 2003, 13:36 GMT
I often say towards.