difference between "for me" and "to me".

G sensei   Thursday, November 20, 2003, 06:04 GMT
I`m teaching English in Japan and I was asked to explain when someone would use "for me" instead of "to me". For example the sentence could be `It is difficult for me.` In this example you wouldn`t use "to me". But in the sentence `It is interesting to me` you can also say `It is interesting for me`. Is this correct? Is there a rule when to use either one or is another one of those `no rules, just remember it` grammar?

Thanks for any help.
G sensei
Learner   Thursday, November 20, 2003, 06:27 GMT
Do you teach to the adults ?
How old have your students ?
Learner   Thursday, November 20, 2003, 06:29 GMT
Sorry !
How "old" are you students ?
Jim   Thursday, November 20, 2003, 07:21 GMT
The prepositions "to" and "for" have such wide and varied uses it would be difficult to give a concise answer.

Consider this "She too her hat off to me." verses "She too her hat off for me."

Consider these "You can make it up to me in cash.", "It's all the same to me." or "That's news to me."

Consider these "Were you asking for me?", "Would you sit in for me?" or "It was curtains for me."

Tell the kids that they need a good dictionary and that they sould get some good books to read.
all the sheep   Thursday, November 20, 2003, 08:06 GMT
"To" has more a sense of direction
"for"is has just a sense of purpose
mjd   Thursday, November 20, 2003, 08:26 GMT
What ATS said is generally true, but it is possible to use "for" to give a sense of direction.

For example:

"That car is headed for the edge of the cliff."
Jim   Friday, November 21, 2003, 00:30 GMT
Conversly, "I slamed on the brakes to stop the car."

G Sensei, you don't go around refering to yourself as "sensei" in Japan, do you? Just wondering.
Jim   Friday, November 21, 2003, 00:41 GMT
Conversly, "I slamed on the brakes to stop the car."

G Sensei, you don't go around refering to yourself as "sensei" in Japan, do you? Just wondering.