Pronunciation of Of, what, was, want.

Richard   Tuesday, December 02, 2003, 19:34 GMT
oh, Cheque means ''check''.
Clark   Tuesday, December 02, 2003, 20:22 GMT
Yep. It is just a difference of spelling.
Jim   Tuesday, December 02, 2003, 23:58 GMT
Yeah, but "Please cheque my spelling." would be in need of checking not chequing. In the US you spell both words "check" but for the rest of us "check" and "cheque" are different words. For example, "Please check to see whether you've brought your cheque book."
Rugger   Wednesday, December 03, 2003, 00:19 GMT
When I first read Julian's post I was confused for a second when he used "check" instead of "cheque", but still grasped his meaning.
Richard   Wednesday, December 03, 2003, 03:58 GMT
What my father told the court he had wanted was not to be caught with a quart of water in the cot of his daughter all hidden away in the cart of his brother.

It was respelled in two spelling reforms

Wut mie fothur toeld thu kort hee had wuntid wuz not too bee kot with u kort uv wotur in thu kot uv hiz dotur ol hidun uwae in thu kart uv his bruthur.

Fanetiks spelling

Wut mi fother toeld tha kaurt he had wontid wuz not tu be kaut with a kwaurt uv wauter in tha kot uv hiz dauter aul hidan awae in tha kort uv hiz bruther.
Jim   Wednesday, December 03, 2003, 05:29 GMT
What's the first one called? Here it is in my system.

Whot mi faadher toald dha cort he had wontyd woz not tu be caut with a quort ov wauter in dha cot ov hiz dauter aul hidyn yway in dha cart ov hiz brudher.
Clark   Wednesday, December 03, 2003, 06:21 GMT
In Britain:

Please bring me that Czech cheque because I want to check to see if that Czech man brought the right cheque.

In America:

Please bring me that Czech check because I want to check to see if that Czech man brought the right check.

In the Czech Republic:

Go translate it yourself :-P
Jim   Wednesday, December 03, 2003, 06:57 GMT
Please do a Czech cheque check because the Czech style of checking cheques is the most trusted way known (much better than the Slovak style, though the Slovaks are better at checking coins).
Julian   Wednesday, December 03, 2003, 07:07 GMT
>>You're a Californian, right Julian? I would have pronounced that sentence completely differently, being from Michigan.

Yes, Ryan, I'm from California. I believe you when you say you would've pronounced the sentence differently -- you Michiganders get your vowels all mixed up (catch - cetch, creek - crick, milk - melk, etc). I'm teasing of course, so please don't take offense.
Jim   Wednesday, December 03, 2003, 07:24 GMT
They get their "vowels all mixed up" ... that's what we Aussies say about the Kiwis, e.g. "fush und chups", but, in reality, they've got just as much right to say this about us. It's all just accent.
Clark   Wednesday, December 03, 2003, 20:38 GMT
Have you ever checked a Czech cheque before? I checked ten Czech checks one time. The Czech accountant checqued me out, but then we did not put our Czech cheques there because we were in Slovakia.
Jim   Thursday, December 04, 2003, 06:08 GMT
The cheque checkers were playing Czech checkers.
Nzer   Thursday, December 04, 2003, 11:39 GMT
Yeah you go get yourself some fiish and chiiips for siix dollars fiifty in Siidnee Jiim! :)