Slang terms for English speakers

mjd   Sunday, December 07, 2003, 21:23 GMT
Well, I think there it is very likely that it went straight to video, if you know what I mean.
mjd   Sunday, December 07, 2003, 21:40 GMT
*editing: omit that "there"
Alice   Sunday, December 07, 2003, 22:34 GMT
Please, don't misunderstand, I have no objections to being called a "yank", (as long as it's not done angrily), I just didn't know if it was meant to have a negative connotation or not. I can't raelly think of any instance where someone would be bothered by such an expression. Also, "limey", (or however it's spelled) is not a term I've ever used, and one I've heard only rarely, & then in a jovial context.

- Alice, the unoffended yank
Jamie On   Sunday, December 07, 2003, 23:43 GMT
Sasenach for English people.
Boy   Monday, December 08, 2003, 00:46 GMT
"Goray" is spoken by Indians and Pakistanis for referring white people. If they don't feel like speaking British, Americans, Australians..etc, they use it as a whole. For instance, I'm a singer and they come to my music show for listening to my music, and I'm being interviewd about the show in my native language, I'd rather use it as a whole and keep away myself from mentioning each citizen seperately.
S   Monday, December 08, 2003, 13:49 GMT
Is it true that the word 'Brummagem' is used in the US to refer to something that is fake?
Alice   Tuesday, December 09, 2003, 03:04 GMT
I've never heard that term.
DB   Tuesday, December 09, 2003, 09:27 GMT
I agree with the above.

I have never heard of the term "Brummagem" here in the US (at least here in California).

Limey as a name for the British? I have only heard this term in ancient black and white comedy movies. I have never heard the term used today.

The South used to call Northerners yanks during the civil war. Northerners called the South rebels.

I don't take offense to being called a yank. It doesn't have an insulting "flavor" to it. However, if a Northerner calls someone from the South a yank, he might get insulted.
Alice   Tuesday, December 09, 2003, 13:09 GMT
I looked it up in an American Dictionary, and apparently it is a word, but again, not one I've ever heard.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?Brummagem