"Mixed Languages"

tarek   Monday, December 15, 2003, 14:24 GMT
"I think it is more temporary fashion and I really doubt if something of this English stuff will have a lasting effect, at least not in common language."
I am not shure but instead of "something" I should write "anything" and instead of "if" perhaps "whether".

A lot of English words are used because they are just trendy. But there is still some effort to translate and pronounce them and that is the point in the long term.This guys will switch back to their old language;Only my opinion.
Simon   Monday, December 15, 2003, 14:29 GMT
This is not entirely true. Lots of words are used for fashion reasons. However, science and economics etc. are also areas where English (usually American English words) are entering into other languages. Make no mistake, English is a BIG thing.
Joaquin   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 08:20 GMT
In the Philippines, the national language is supposed to be Tagalog (or Pilipino), but in actuality, the masses are increasingly speaking a Tagalog-English-Spanish hybrid called "Taglish". English verbs are even being conjugated Filipino style ("isubmitin" - to submit, "inaprubahan" - to approve)!

To illustrate my point, here's a sample of a news item that appeared in yesterday's newspaper:

"Arraignment ni Trillanes iba pa, inilipat sa Enero 8

Iniliban sa Enero 8, 2004 ang nakatakdang pagbasa ng sakdal laban kay Navy Lt. Senior Grade Antonio Trillanes IV at 28 iba pang junior officer ng militar, na nasangkot sa nabigong Oakwood mutiny noong Hulyo 27 sa Makati City, kahapon dahil may sakit si Judge Romeo Barza ng Makati City Regional Trial Court Branch 61.

Maliban sa huwes, lahat ng sangkot na partido ay dumalo sa nakatakdang arraignment kabilang si State Prosecutor Jovencito Zuno at ang mga abogado ng mga sundalo pati na ang mga respondent."

And another:

"Umamin si Senate Majority Floor Leader Loren Legarda kahapon na ilang emisaryo ni action king Fernando Poe Jr. ang nag-imbita (note: conjugation of "to invite"/"invitar") sa kanya na maging presidential teammate nito sa darating na 2004 presidential elections.

Ayon kay Legarda, ilang personalidad na kilalang supporter ni Poe ang nanliligaw sa kanya na tumakbo sa ilalim ng Koalisyon ng Nagkakaisang Pilipino (KNP) kung saan idineklarang (a conjugation of "to declare"/"declarar") official standard bearer si Poe."

Talk about mixed languages!
Hank Brass   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 19:08 GMT
Yiddish: German with much Hebrew mixed in, followed by contributions from all of the Eastern European languages.

Japanese: strong Chinese substratum, and much English these days.
Clark   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 20:11 GMT
I totally forgot about Yiddish!

Mixed languages so far then would be:

English
Yiddish

Not very many!
pobre_diablo   Friday, December 19, 2003, 19:58 GMT
also tagalog - the language of the philippines. it has a lot of spanish words in it.
NADAV BEN-AMI   Wednesday, December 24, 2003, 06:48 GMT
Yiddish: German with much Hebrew mixed in, followed by contributions from all of the Eastern European languages.

Hank Brass: It seems you are very uneducated about the real origin of Yiddish.. as a native Yiddish speaker of a mere 30 years old and the sole protector of the language from DERIDERS of it(NAMELY, ANTI-SEMITIC JEWS AND THEIR NAZI COHORTS!) YIDDISH IS NOT SOME GERMAN DIALECT, BOTH MODERN GERMAN AND YIDDISH ARE CHILDREN OF THE PARENT GERMANIC ELEMENTS.. I SUGGEST YOU READ UP ON: DI GESHIKHTE FUN DER YIDISHER-SHPRAKH by Uriel Weinreich and STOP SPREADING THIS ALREADY SOLVED MYSTERY ON: VOS IZ YIDISH?? I WOULD HAVE TO SAY AFRIKAAN'S IS A DIALECT OF DUTCH, OR WEANERISCH IS A DIALECT OF MODERN GERMAN. BUT, YIDDISH? ACTUALLY, ACCORDING TO "IDIOT'S GUIDE TO LEARNING YIDDISH", THE AUTHOR EVEN SAYS WITH ACCURATE RECORDS THAT YIDDISH IS OLDER THAN MODERN GERMAN, SO YIDDISH HAS A RIGHT TO BE CALLED A "SEPARATE LANGUAGE"... MORE SO NOW, THEN IT WAS BEFORE.. SO, STOP SPREADING THIS LIE THAT IT IS A "DIALECT OF MODERN GERMAN", FOR 120 + YEARS HEBRAISTS AND THEIR COLLABORATORS HAVE BEEN SAYING THAT IS A MERE JARGON.. YOU OBVIOUSLY DONNOT KNOW THAT IT IS REVIVED(TOOK 3 YEARS OF IT AT UMCP UNIVERSITY MD COLLEGE PARK, WHERE ONLY 3 WERE JEWISH STUDENTS OUT OF 40).. EVEN MY GERMAN FRIENDS(I HAVE MORE NON-JEWISH THAN JEWISH SINCE JEWS CRY ALL THE TIME ABOUT THEIR "HOLOCAUST" AND JAMN IT DOWN PEOPLE'S THROATS! NO WONDER WHY THE WHOLE WORLD HATES JEWS, BECAUSE THE JEWS DONNOT MENTION OTHER LIVES LOST IN THE HOLOCAUST!"

YIDDISH IS REVIVED... IT WILL CONTINUE TO BE A SPOKEN LANGUAGE, NEVER AS A VERNACULAR BEFORE NAZIS AND WWII, BUT NEVERTHELESS, A LIVING AND SPOKEN LANGUAGE WHICH ONLY NOW IS GAINING STRENGH ONCE AGAIN AS A CHOICE OVER MODERN HEBREW.. ZIONISM HAS FAILED, AND MODERN HEBREW DOES NOT AMOUNT TO ANY UNIFYING OF ALL JEWS WORTH A GROSZ..

ENOUGH!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! YIDDISH HAS A RIGHT TO LIVE!!! HITLERISTS, NAZIS, JEWISH ANTI-SEMITIC NAZIS ARE THE ONES DERIDING IT!!!

STOP!

"A NATIVE YIDDISH SPEAKER"
Alice   Wednesday, December 24, 2003, 18:55 GMT
NADAV BEN-AMI - Your posts would be much easier to read and understand if you wouldn't type in all caps. There is no need to do this, if you want us to read what you have to say, please write politely.
Jamie On   Wednesday, December 24, 2003, 19:35 GMT
Nadav is absolutely right.