English-speaking Ghettoes

rudolph   Tuesday, February 25, 2003, 15:48 GMT
Hallo nufnuf. Ich persönlich bin ebenfalls gegen die ganzen Anglizismen, aber könntest du dir wirklich vorstellen, entweder wörtliche Übersetzungen ("Spielstock") oder Wortneuschöpfungen zu verwenden?
Was ich als Alternative nicht schlecht fänd, wären gr.-lat. Wortneuschöpfungen, dia anschließend wieder eingedeutscht werden könnten. Was ist deine Ansicht dazu???
nufnuf   Tuesday, February 25, 2003, 17:23 GMT
Ja man muss sich was einfallen lassen. Die Zeiten ändern sich eben rapide und damit die Notwendigkeit, neue Sachverhalte mit neuen Wörter zu belegen. Da greifen die ganzen Werbetexter und Lifestyler, unkreativ wie sie sind, schnell in die Anglizismenkiste. Ich kann es mir nicht vorstellen wörtliche Übersetzungen zu verwenden, aber häufig ist die englische Entsprechung, wenn man es sich genau überlegt, überhaupt nicht geistreicher. Zumal immer wieder die tolle Flexibilität der englischen Sprache gelobt wird.

Griechisch-lateinische Wortschöpfungen klingen sehr elegant. Ich wär dabei, aber wahrscheinlich würden wir damit auf verlorenem Posten stehen. Ich glaube solche Wortschöpfungen klingen gerade für die, die sie verwenden sollen, zu gestelzt und hausbacken.
Es entscheidet eben doch der Zeitgeist, was sich durchsetzt und offensichtlich gibt es keine wirklich tatkräftige Institution zur Pflege und Entwicklung der Sprache.
Ich befürchte fast, dass man mit der Verwässerung der Sprache leben muss. Ich für meinen Teil versuche mich ohne diese Junk-Food-Sprache auszudrücken. ;O)
Lommers   Tuesday, February 25, 2003, 20:43 GMT
i live in the northeast, and i remember at my high school a great deal of hispanic students, even ones who had been born here, could not speak more than about 100 words of english if they had been educated in the bilingual system. i certainly agree that many hispanics do learn english (obviously) but i was pointing out the unique problem that is in connection with bilingual education and sentiments like that, where people pretty much ignore the need to learn english. i would personally agree that spanish will not have a huge impact on american society as a whole, but as for certain communities and enclaves in america, who knows? that was my initial question.

deaptor, that may be true, but it doesn't change the fact that there are far more hispanic immigrants than there are russian immigrants.
spanish   Tuesday, February 25, 2003, 23:29 GMT
spanish is spoken in south america ,spanish is a world language.
the usa is such a big wide country, there is space for everyone. Its not wrong if they only speak spanish. On the other hand the english speaker (born like the hispanic in the same country) can learn spanish too.
deaptor   Tuesday, February 25, 2003, 23:36 GMT
spanish,
do you think that Hispanic emigrants should not learn English?
spanish   Tuesday, February 25, 2003, 23:44 GMT
well if it cause no problem,(economical..what ever) of course not .
as i know are texas, california ,L.A. ,S.francisco places foundet original by spanish mexican people.and people born in the usa are americans ! every born baby make nothing to earn the birthplace. do u think in reality a hispanic ,..., people would refuse to learn english?-i dont think so.
maniac   Wednesday, February 26, 2003, 00:01 GMT
After reading all your messages (sogar die die auf Deutsch sind!) I think that Spanish speaking immigrants may have a possitive impact in American culture.
Europeans and other non-americans have criticized the fact that the US educational system does not teach foreign languages that well, while most Europeans know at least 1 extra language.
Since the Spanish immigration boom (which doesn't seem to stop and it won't until socioeconomical conditions between South and Northamerica are more or less equal) I seem to see more and more Americans speaking quite good Spanish or at least trying to learn it. I think Spanish immigration may open the mind of Americans towards the "outside world".
Also, the Latinamerican immigration may facilitate a future economical union between all countries in the continent. NAFTA is just the start.
The ecomonomical differences make it difficult now, but we have an advantage over the EU: there aren't as many languages as in Europe. We can communicatge with anybody from Alaska to Argentina with 4 basic languages: English, Spanish, French and Portuguese.
deaptor   Wednesday, February 26, 2003, 00:04 GMT
spanish,
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure that I have understood your answer.
Did you mean to say "yes" or "no" to my question?

> do u think in reality a hispanic ,..., people would refuse to learn english?-i dont think so.
I believe that there a few people from Hispanic who don't like to learn English.
Or do you want to say that all Hispanic people are anxious to learn English?
world unity   Wednesday, February 26, 2003, 00:06 GMT
after america is one union (south and north) america and europe become a union ,followed by russia........
untill we have one world
deaptor   Wednesday, February 26, 2003, 00:16 GMT
maniac,
you're right, the people should know at least one extra language, that will teach them better what their own language is.

world union,
perhaps, we will finally become one country, because the Earth is so small, and we can't any afford to think that we can exist completely independent on it if we want survive. But it is long way to go... we have to learn better understand each other.
spanish   Wednesday, February 26, 2003, 00:21 GMT
if it is not necessary hispanic persons should free to stay by there own language. I personal dont know a necessity --perhaps u can help to show me a problem which i oversee.
deaptor   Wednesday, February 26, 2003, 00:26 GMT
spanish,
I believe that people who leave in one country should be able to communicate to each other, to share their ideas, etc... otherwise it is not goint to be a good for this country.
Also, I like to believe that knowledge a second language gives you a better understanding of your mother tongue.
spanish   Wednesday, February 26, 2003, 00:36 GMT
can u explain to me why it could not be good for a country. An idea ,mentality ... is not linked to a language. the communication becomes worse, thats indeed not good but its a weaker problem when they live in an own u.s. community which they can name spanishtown...
what i mean : u cant force a person to learn annother language only because u feel a bit foreign.
deaptor   Wednesday, February 26, 2003, 01:01 GMT
The language forms ours social environment, and mentality is a derived thing from it.
Don't you see they are connected?

> u cant force a person to learn annother language only because u feel a bit foreign.
I beg you pardon, what you meant by saying "u feel a bit foreign"
spanish   Wednesday, February 26, 2003, 18:45 GMT
language form social environment? u only need it to communicate-u can translate. u can simple change ur mentality. u dont need to learn a foreign language for this.