New Words from Foreign Languages

Mr Hanky the X-mas P...   Tuesday, February 25, 2003, 15:54 GMT
Simon, one question: When I started to learn English, the first text we read was a very silly text one about a small child.
Do small children or their parents respectively really say "I want to spend a penny"????
Simon   Tuesday, February 25, 2003, 15:59 GMT
Yes, Mr Hanky, but it's an old phrase when to go to the toilet cost 'a penny'. Whether it's English or American is something I don't know.

In England, we also say:

having a jimmy (Jimmy Riddle = piddle, a slang word for urine)
having a slash (blunt but not really vulgar)
J   Tuesday, February 25, 2003, 18:48 GMT
Don't forget 'the bog'.

I even hear people say 'I'm off for a shit. Wait here'.
cmhiv   Tuesday, February 25, 2003, 19:03 GMT
I have a question, my g-ma said something like "how now brown cow;" what is this? She said it was how they were taught English or something.
Jim   Wednesday, February 26, 2003, 00:47 GMT
A toilet may be in a bathroom but it's called a bathroom because it's got a bath in it. The words "restroom" and "washroom" are just nonsense. "I'm going to the bathroom." still sounds uptight to me.

... and there's "I'm gonna drain the main vein." or "I'm off to syphon the python."

If you don't want to tell us what nasty business you're up to just say "Excuse me." but don't make out as if you're going to have a bath.
Simon   Wednesday, February 26, 2003, 08:18 GMT
In Scotland it's "Hoo noo broon coo"...
mjd   Wednesday, February 26, 2003, 08:39 GMT
There's the ever popular "I'm gonna take a leak" or how about the standard "I've gotta take a piss."
Jose   Wednesday, February 26, 2003, 18:57 GMT
I hate the words 'fiesta' or 'plaza' that mean 'feast' the first one and 'square' the second one, but when you're talking about a Spanish speaking country. As if there were any difference.
mjd   Wednesday, February 26, 2003, 20:09 GMT
I don't quite understand what you were trying to say Jose. Why do you not care for those words?
Krys   Thursday, February 27, 2003, 07:19 GMT
"... and there's "I'm gonna drain the main vein." or "I'm off to syphon the python."

lmao.
youssef   Saturday, March 01, 2003, 16:13 GMT
sent me box english american
my address is : rue omar ben alkhattab N 22 inzegan agadir
morocco.
youssef dassi