Differences between American & British English

American Person   Thursday, August 14, 2003, 14:16 GMT
arhhhhhrrrrrrr rraaarrr rrrraaaaarrrrrrr rrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhrrrr!
Richard Li   Thursday, August 14, 2003, 21:59 GMT
Oh, jolly wonderful, Second-langauge English speakers now prefer British English! I think it just sounds more lively. Have you ever compared BBC and CNN newsreaders? The latter are just like talking machines.
Rugger   Friday, August 15, 2003, 07:07 GMT
That's actually what I've noticed when listening to some CNN anchors talk, they do sound a little robotic. BBC anchors are clear in their speech and have a more animated flow, well, to my ears anyway. Does anyone know what type of English accent the journalist Christiane Amanpour has? I've always been puzzled by her accent because it sounds like RP but with the influence of her native Iranian, given that she has lived in Iran for some time.
Clark   Friday, August 15, 2003, 07:37 GMT
I thought Christine Amanpour has a British accent, but with a little American seeping thorugh (she is married to an American--maybe that has something to do with it).
Rugger   Friday, August 15, 2003, 07:46 GMT
Thanks for the reply Clark. I didn't consider the possibility of the American influence given that her work is based in the USA and also being married to an American, but still, I can't pinpoint her accent to any specific British accent.
Clark   Friday, August 15, 2003, 08:03 GMT
I would say her accent is RP. She would have undoubtedly learnt this one in Iran, and at university in England, and also working in England I am sure she would have used the RP accent as well.
wilson   Friday, August 15, 2003, 09:45 GMT
well I don'tthink about it.
Richard Li   Friday, August 15, 2003, 22:23 GMT
Oh, yes, indeed Rugger. Some BBC newsreaders are quite lively in their speech.
to Guofei ma   Saturday, August 16, 2003, 08:25 GMT
You are 13? You are freaking pretentious and annoying. "Pray tell," "By the bye" Oh my GAWD please stop trying to be all "brilliant" just because you have a British accent! For heavens sakes you live in California!
ghelp   Saturday, August 16, 2003, 08:27 GMT
finally someone says what i am thinking !!!
Bastige   Saturday, August 16, 2003, 08:53 GMT
Here here!!! Thank God somebody finally spoke up about that pretentious twit. I'd been trying to ignore it for so long.
Guofei Ma   Saturday, August 16, 2003, 20:53 GMT
A cup of tea and a good night's sleep.
Guofei Ma   Saturday, August 16, 2003, 21:14 GMT
Anyways, what's wrong with "by the by" and "pray tell"?

And what do those phrases have to do with being freaking, 13, pretentious, annoying, brilliant, British, or living in California? First of all, I am not pretentious or brilliant. Secondly, I am British and I like being British but I don't think myself better because of it. Thirdly, I say "by the by" and "pray tell" simply out of habit, perhaps because I've been reading too much archaic novels. However, I think I am justified to use whatever words I want. At least I have already abstained from criticising some of the words the lot of you use since my first opposition in this forum.

Again, more tea and more sleep.

Nice people such as Amoni and Saya and rational people like Wingyellow and Tom, please excuse my trying to defend myself.
Guofei Ma   Saturday, August 16, 2003, 21:55 GMT
I'll take leave of this particular discussion with what has become my favourite Christmas carol...

I heard the bells on Christmas Day,
Their old familiar carols play,
And mild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.
Hmm   Sunday, August 17, 2003, 04:22 GMT
I've been speaking English for over 20 years and I have never come across by the bye. Who says that?