Differences between American & British English

Jo   Friday, March 12, 2004, 10:58 GMT
'Americans say Britons have got the right word for everything. Britons say the same about Americans.'

Im British and i've never heard anyone over here ever compliment the way americans speak! I've heard it said several times that they've butchered the language- but that's about it! To say we're only exposed to academics is totally inaccurate too- we get a lot of your media and sitcoms etc. And many of your academics we hear from over here actually dont sound that clever (i.e. Bush- rotflmao!)!
mjd   Friday, March 12, 2004, 11:00 GMT
Bush isn't an academic.
Adam   Friday, March 12, 2004, 12:00 GMT
Originally posted by Danni-

"1. Someone said that there were three nations in Britain. I'm pretty sure all the people in Northern Ireland would disagree with this. If this has already been corrected then never mind me" :)

Northern Ireland isn't in Britain. Britain just consists of England, Scotland and Wales. But Northern Ireland is in the UK.
Adam   Friday, March 12, 2004, 12:04 GMT
And you have to remember that some Northern Irish people see themselves as being a part of the Republic of Ireland and not the UK.
Sense   Saturday, March 13, 2004, 04:56 GMT
Why do you ignorants not change this language to one easier?
Thinker   Saturday, March 13, 2004, 05:01 GMT
Most people who criticise my British accent, don't speak English for understanding them. They're very stupid.

I would like to pronounce the r as in "car", but we just don't like it. We
the British know that the r goes in this word.
Angland   Saturday, March 13, 2004, 05:11 GMT
Anglish is a beautiful language. We know that the English has fallen these last years, but we must change it. Most Europeans surprise and blame us of these accents. Sorry, we just love to speak like this!
Neuf Anglais   Saturday, March 13, 2004, 05:14 GMT
New English!!!
Peter Pan   Saturday, March 13, 2004, 06:50 GMT
When the Normans invaded England, they found English culture. The Normans used to speak a scandinavian dialect because they were Vikings.

English was called Angland, but later this name changed to how it is now,
illogically. Look! Angland means Land of Angles, not Land of Engles.

Most irregular nouns are acceptable from the Old English, but some other
nouns are unacceptable.

Singular Plural
goose geese
moose nor meese neither mooses!!

thief thieves
chief chiefs!! Here the British forgot the norm (standard rule).

mouse mice
house not hice!! Say houses. Why is this language very weird?

Most educators seem to speak fluent, not facing a real influence of a new
English.

That's why this is a language that has not a logical rule.

Pronunciation is Ah as R for the British. Ex: cart (cah t)
eight (ait)
height (heit)
receive (receev)

I've got to go. (correct)
I gotta go. (incorrect)

I want to go. (correct)
I wanna go. (incorrect)

Americans love to speak incorrect because they call this incorrect grammar as slang or regional grammar instead of standard grammar.

When the reporters speak, they look smarter than other people. Just look how many things we have to study to speak and right a good English.

Many Hispanic artists make a great effort. They don't consider the English better than the Spanish, even though some of them are born here.

I know that most Americans criticise the Latins, but the Latins criticise them worse.

Peter Pan is not my real name. My name is Pedro Olla. English names become more famous at all.
to sense, thinker, angland, neuf anglais   Saturday, March 13, 2004, 06:50 GMT
You have a poor command of the English language. So before you go and criticise the language, learn to speak it first.
Ryan   Saturday, March 13, 2004, 06:55 GMT
English has a history of contractions, so it's only natural for us to contract words like "got to" to "gotta." Americans aren't the only ones who contract like this. I've heard people on British television shows contract "going to" to "gonna" like is widespread in the US. My favorite is in the North where they pronounce it "goona."
Cuban   Saturday, March 13, 2004, 07:04 GMT
If I knew that English was very complicated I would not learn.
jose   Sunday, March 14, 2004, 23:33 GMT
I am Argentinian and we generally speak British English. I work as a teleoperator for an American company, so I had to change my accent. It was shocking at the beginning when I had to say "berer" instead of British "bete" or say "tweni one" instead of British "twenty one". But I found that in some parts of US, Americans dont use a strong "r" sound in the word endings, very similar to the British way, I could heard that accent in some North-east states like in Massachussets or Rhode Island, I think it is because the British influence. In conclusion, American flap sound is unclear and the British silent sound of the "r" in the word endings is unclear too.
scottish   Friday, March 19, 2004, 10:27 GMT
Cesar Ordonez   Wednesday, March 24, 2004, 16:50 GMT
Hello my name is Cesar and spesk Spanish you write me a mail
risco_1991@hotmail.com