Differences between American & British English

Ryan   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 16:20 GMT
The thing I find funniest about the Indian accent is how they shift their "v" and "w" sounds. My friend from India will talk about a "computer wirus," but then ask someone "vere are you going?" I always wondered if this had something to do with the way that Hindi is pronounced or if it's just some strange Indian peculiarity because every Indian I've known has done it.
Jo   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 16:23 GMT
One of my relatives (through marriage) is russian and i do quite like the way she speaks... although i wouldnt really have said it was one of my most favourite accents in the world...
Eugenia   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 18:51 GMT
Wow, I've been abscent for a week and you write like ten pages!! I have a lot to read now :S
Eugenia   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 18:52 GMT
absent, sorry :P
Xatufan   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 21:29 GMT
Eugenia: Es verdaderamente sorprendente que esta gente sea tan adicta al Internet. Escriben y escriben y no se cansan nunca...

Yesterday I saw a movie starring Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen, these beautiful US girls... Anyway, this movie (which was called Winning London) was about two twin girls who travelled to London for a UNO programme. They learnt to speak British and they said the word "loo".
Ginny Weasley   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 21:35 GMT
The Cockneys in Charles Dickens' stories substitute "w" for "v" and "v" for "w", just like the aforesaid Indians do. Modern Cockneys don't do that anymore.
jo   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 21:39 GMT
bleurgh- the olsens are awful! they are very pretty- ill give you that-
but apart from that they really are awful! they have very few fans that arent 12 year old girls, or guys (for obvious reasons!)- their films are just soooo bad!

'loo' means 'toilet'- everyone uses it in the UK (or nearly everyone- whatever)- but i dont think many people in the US use it... correct me if im wrong- but i think theyre much more likely to say 'bathroom' or (for some strange reason) 'jon'.
jo   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 21:40 GMT
quite a few letters throughout history have been interchangable... cant remember any off the top of my head... i think 'i' and 'y' might have been some...
Xatufan   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 21:42 GMT
If you have seen the movie in its original English version, you could find I'm lying. I don't know if they REALLY learnt British accent, because I saw the Spanish version, and the cab driver in Londinium spoke in a strange way (as if he had lost a tooth). I don't know if that was their "translation" of a Londinium accent.

PS: Calling London "Londinium" is really cool. In fact, that was the name Romans gave to the city when they founded it.
Xatufan   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 21:46 GMT
Jo: You're right. The Olsen make such horrible movies! Some are a bit good, like Winning London.
Damian   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 22:05 GMT
Yeah, loo is universally used really here in UK.

Ginny: I agree with you....A Russian speaking English is really nice to hear. My mother is a teacher and about 3 years ago a Russian lady came to her school on an exchange basis teaching Russian. Her name was Maria and she was really nice and she came to our house several times for meals and to chat. I really enjoyed her company and loved her use of English...it was quite funny sometimes and I tried not to laugh as it was very formal and sounded a bit old fashioned.

Her biggest problem though was understanding the accents of her pupils as the school is in Edinburgh and she was not used to Scottish accents! It really was a challenge and experience for her.

She was amazed at the things she could get here that she couldn't at home and she had food she had never seen before. She went home loaded with stuff and familar with the Scottish accent and a lot of English slang terms (and some rude words! hee hee)
Xatufan   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 23:48 GMT
Dueling Chefs is a marvellous programme.
Xatufan   Tuesday, June 01, 2004, 16:37 GMT
No one has written a message since Sunday. That's weird! I want to go to Londinium to learn British... As I said before, Dueling Chefs and Aaron Changes are wondachu...
Sara   Tuesday, June 01, 2004, 16:55 GMT
Xatu- I love that you think the Olsen twins are beautiful, in America being tall and very tan is the beautiful thing. Your post makes me as a short blonde feel better about myself, thanks : )
Eugenia   Tuesday, June 01, 2004, 21:13 GMT
Xatufan: Jajaja, ¡¡No nos quejemos!!! :)
Sara: '' in America being tall and very tan is the beautiful thing'' Not only in America...Those trends have travelled all around the world!!! :P

Ps. I'm sleepy and I have to study... (F***)