been there, done that

dian   Friday, January 16, 2004, 02:42 GMT
I found this sentence often. But, how do we use it properly? I think we will use it after something has happened. But I am not sure how to use it. Could you please explain it to me?

Thank you.
Elaine   Friday, January 16, 2004, 03:02 GMT
This phrase is usually uttered with a snide, bitchy attitude. Let's say that your friend just heard about a trendy new club and suggests that you all check it out this weekend. Since you're very cutting edge and fashion-forward, you've already checked this club out. So you diss your friend by saying "Been there, done that" to imply that the club is passé and she's so behind the times.
dian   Friday, January 16, 2004, 04:12 GMT
Is it still appropriate in the following situation? For example, I have watched the latest release of the movie "Lord of the Ring". I wathced it two weeks ago. Then, suddendly, one of my friends advises me to watch that movie because he thinks that it is a very good movie, one of the movies that can win Oscar, for example. Can I respond with "been there, done that"?
American_Girl   Friday, January 16, 2004, 04:37 GMT
Uh... the phrase "been there, done that" has already been there and done that- at least, it has in the USA. I'm only 17, but I really haven't heard anybody say that in a very long time. It's kind of like throwing the word "groovy" into a sentence; it just doesn't work anymore. A couple of years ago, it was a sarcastic retort. And no- it was not the kind of thing that you said about going to a new club. It was the sort of thing that you said when something bad had happened and you wanted to look like the victim. Like, I remember when my friend wrecked her dad's car three years ago. She was telling me (and a couple other people) about it, and how horrible it was. One of my other friends spoke up and said, "Been there, done that", and proceeded to tell this whole long sob story about how she had wrecked HER dad's car so much worse and had gotten into so much MORE trouble- she was trying to out-do the first girl. That's how you used it three years ago. Don't worry about how to use it now. It goes out of fashion... :)
Jim   Friday, January 16, 2004, 04:44 GMT
Snide and bitchy or wanting to look like the victim ... it all depends on how you say it. Anyway, the take-home lesson is that it's a phrase used to show that you've had the particular experience in question ... but I wouldn't get too hung up over it because "been there, done that" isn't considered groovy any more.
pobre_diablo   Sunday, January 18, 2004, 02:41 GMT
yea, its goin out of fashion just like "funky", except when you're talking about a funky smell (foul smell) :)
mjd   Sunday, January 18, 2004, 03:23 GMT
Perhaps it's not used on an everyday basis like in years past, but it is still an expression that one will come across from time to time.