There IS/ARE?

mjd   Friday, January 30, 2004, 07:01 GMT
raisingfink,

I'm American and I can definitely say most of us say "an hour" not "a hour."
mjd   Friday, January 30, 2004, 07:03 GMT
In fact...."a hour" just sounds bad....like you said, it's a vowel sound.
raisingfink   Friday, January 30, 2004, 07:26 GMT
mjd,
Sorry. Yes, I'm sure most use "an hour". But I've come across quite a number of articles written by Americans that use "a hour". It's just an observation. Cheers.
Alice   Saturday, January 31, 2004, 05:43 GMT
I know it's proper, but I still have trouble saying "an historical". I find myself dropping the "h", which is silly, because "h" dropping is not a part of my accent at all, (nor any American accent I can recall).
quicksilver   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 03:13 GMT
sorry, raisingfink, I tend to disagree with one of your points:
I often hear "an hour" in AmE, (at least spoken AmE), usually the "n" is soft and slurred into the "hour".
quicksilver   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 03:14 GMT
oops, didn't turn the page. Ignore the last post.
Myriescence   Wednesday, February 11, 2004, 18:57 GMT
'I know it's proper, but I still have trouble saying "an historical". I find myself dropping the "h", which is silly, because "h" dropping is not a part of my accent at all, (nor any American accent I can recall).'

That is a popular misconception. The use of 'an' before H was introduced to aid pronunciation, and was only intended informally. 'A historical' is in fact the proper form.
Myriescence   Wednesday, February 11, 2004, 18:59 GMT
I forgot to mention that 'hour' is an exception, because the H is not pronounced in modern English.
Tsama   Wednesday, February 11, 2004, 21:07 GMT
Hi newcomer

So see your sentences:

1. There IS a hospital, a restaurant and two big shops in that street.
or
2. There ARE a hospital, a restaurant and two big shops in that street

here is my response:

1) (There is) is imployed at the singular and (there are) at the plurial.

Exemple1: there is one chair in my house ( it exists only one chair in my house)

exemple2: there are two children in the garden (I see only two children in the garden)

So the rule is: object plurial, you say : there are. For instance: there are always many people during summer in paris.

object singular, you say: there is. For exemple: there is only new day in year.
A.S.C.M.   Thursday, February 12, 2004, 03:39 GMT
Some native speakers of English say:

"There is two dogs in the picture."

I always wince when I hear something like that. Can't those fellows remember that they're speaking English and not French?
Alice   Thursday, February 12, 2004, 05:18 GMT
Myriescence -
You mean I've been saying it properly all this time and didn't know it? Who'd have thought.. :-)