Movie: What's the worst that could happen

dian   Thursday, January 29, 2004, 03:09 GMT
Last night I watched this movie through my DVD player. I have just known that the DVD player can display subtitle in English. So that I could see the whole conversation.

I think the conversation were full of slangs and phrasal verbs. Compared to another movie, The Accidental Spy, which is played by Jackie Chan, the conversation in the first movie were more complicated. The latter movie is dubbed and subtitled in English. But, the conversation is easier to understand. Even, sometimes I did not have to see the subtitle, and I understood exactly what they were talking about.

And, I should start learning more about phrasal verbs and slang, because I think they are used freqeuently in a normal conversation, especially when the native speakers talk to each other.
Jim   Thursday, January 29, 2004, 04:03 GMT
And be careful: it can be a regional thing. Best advice: don't go spouting something out until you know how it will go down.
dian   Thursday, January 29, 2004, 05:13 GMT
Could you explain more about "regional thing?"

Thank you.
dian   Thursday, January 29, 2004, 05:17 GMT
I want to guess first: the regional thing is something that is only understood by people from certain area. So that, even the native speakers who are not from the same area don't understand.
Tom   Thursday, January 29, 2004, 13:13 GMT
Movies often use phrases that sound weird to native speakers.
Look at the movie guides at eslnotes.com -- often, you see explanations like "a rare expression meaning ..." or "an amusing way of saying that ...".

Talk shows are better than movies in terms of showing you how English is actually spoken.
frenchi   Thursday, January 29, 2004, 14:01 GMT
it depends of movies, Tarantino's movies seem to use actual language, isn't it?
Ci   Thursday, January 29, 2004, 14:23 GMT
Learning by movies is really good, but take care: if your aim is conversation don't read the subtitles, even in English, because it's proved that you process reading and listening in different parts of your brain, if you read you don't develop the listening part and vice versa! I advise you to watch the movie twice: the first one to have fun, reading the subtitle and the second to learn: just listening, not reading...
Tom   Friday, January 30, 2004, 13:59 GMT
Watch it without subtitles, if you can.
Use subtitles only if there's no hope that you can understand the dialogue.
dian   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 09:08 GMT
In fact, I must watch more than three times to understand without seeing the subtitles, and I must listen carefully. But, it is fine. Subtitling has helped me a lot. Helping me to understand what words that are actually spoken in the real conversation.
french man   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 10:55 GMT
dian take care! Most of the subtitles do not respect the real movies phrases!
Lavoisel   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 12:26 GMT
On the DVD's, the English subtitles stick to the English dialogues most of the time. Only the foreign subtitles don't.
Well, at least that is so on the DVD's I have bought so far.
dian   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 03:16 GMT
French man, are you sure?

I have to listen to the movie several times, for most of the time I must set the volume higher in order to listen to the conversation clearly.

Last night, I watched "We Were Soldier". In a movie like that, a war movie, we should also understand about terms used in military. It is also better for us to read history, especially for an English learner like me.
french man to diana   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 12:32 GMT
of course i am sure, when i listen carrefully the story in english and read in the same time the french phrases ; it is sometimes simplified in the french phrases. So it losts a part of the signification you can only know if you are abble to understand english. Try and you will realize it.
french man to diana   Wednesday, February 04, 2004, 12:34 GMT
The best way to learn english is in that kind of forum, because the best way is to conversate.