New words.

to all the people   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 18:27 GMT
"Looks like we lost Nadia. "

Have you ever noticed how these same posts ("I want to learn English, but I don't know how...") keep appearing every so often, but with different names and from different countries?

Shouldn't this tell you something?
Tom   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 19:16 GMT
We use [j] because that's what IPA uses. I know it's confusing to native speakers, but hey -- [j] even looks like [i].

[.. thin j^N beiZ wUlf eit fO..r la:rdz rats]

Correction:

[ .. thin j^N beiZ wulf eit fo:r (or fOur) la:rdZ r@ts ]
(of course there would be some differences in BrE)
Tom   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 19:19 GMT
"Shouldn't this tell you something?"

What do you think it should tell us?
Khatiya   Saturday, February 07, 2004, 20:09 GMT
I think he's saying that everywhere, people are trying to learn English. This means English is becoming more dominant in the world. I doubt anyone is trying to learn Russian unless the really have to, which is sad because Russian is truly a beautiful language...I guess 'to all people' thinks America is the world's superpower...Sad but true...Am I right 'to all people'?

Also, to Ci- I disagree that Russian is a hard lanuge to learn. I lived in Russia for a grand total of 4 months and can read/write/speak it fluently and with ease. So there.
to all the people   Saturday, February 07, 2004, 21:15 GMT
No. What I was trying to say that these posts keep coming up over and over again. But there's no point to them. No questions are posed, no observations, no advice, nada! All you ever get is, "Hi, my name is (foreign-sounding name). I am from (country du jour). I want to learn English but I don't know how. Pleae help." They're obviously coming from the same troll. Notice how he/she never ever responds when some gullible person answers his/her post. So, ignore this troll's posts.
///   Saturday, February 07, 2004, 22:04 GMT
I agree with you, To All The People. Breaking the rules of the forum seems to be one of this fifteen year old lad's enormous pleasure. Breaking this rule in particular:

"If you want to post to this forum, you must agree that you will not post:[...]
Too general questions ('I WANT TO LEARN ENGLISH. PLEASE HELP ME.', [...])."
Tom   Sunday, February 08, 2004, 12:34 GMT
I wish I could say one ill-meaning person is responsible for all those "Ples help me" messages. Unfortunately, the truth is far scarier: it is thousands of well-meaning, stupid people.

Unless the same person has been e-mailing Antimoon every 2 days or so, for the last 3 years, each time from a new e-mail address...

Every time I get one of those messages, it makes me wonder if what I'm doing on Antimoon really makes sense. I certainly get more "Ples help me" messages than those which indicate the person has read and understood at least one article on Antimoon.
mjd   Sunday, February 08, 2004, 19:06 GMT
People are just looking for a "magic method" to learn English; i.e. they don't want to put in all the hard work, thus they leave a generic message hoping that they'll find the "Holy Grail" of English..

While there are several childish people that delight in flooding this forum, I think it has definitely helped a lot of people improve their English and has served as the means for lots of good linguistic discussions.

Don't worry, Tom. It's not all in vain.
dian   Monday, February 16, 2004, 05:05 GMT
Don't worry, this a very good site to learn English. I visit this website everyday. If you don't believe me, check your log or record my IP address. During office hour, I visit this website several times a day. Writing in this forum has helped improve my English a lot.

The people who really want to learn English through this forum will return to this forum again and again.
hameed   Monday, February 16, 2004, 06:30 GMT
Great forum, and wonderful topic, so nothing is in vain, every brick we put on the wall will have an impact on completion of the entire building.

So keep the good work, and carry on please.