French

Why isn't Hythloday a real British?   Thursday, February 05, 2004, 22:30 GMT
Because his views denounce his narrow-mindness particular to extrem right-wing. Yes, this chap looks towards the extrem-right.
Now please have a look to this picture which is the best evidence of his non-britishness:

http://users.ev1.net/~nyveen/travel/england2002/england/london/big/LookLeft.jpg
Guilhem   Friday, February 06, 2004, 07:46 GMT
Adieu Vincent,
Your Occitan is very impressive for someone who has taught it to himself. Even impressive is that you learned it while living in Paris! Many people who speak occitan at home do not even know how to write in the language. Is this the auvernhat dialect that you speak?

In Toulouse, occitan is taught in many of the schools and street signs are in french and occitan. This is only a recent developement in the last 15 years which shows you that there is an occitan renaissance in the south. So if you want to surround yourself in occitan language and culture, come to Toulouse!

native English speakers,
My international commerce instructor suggested to the class that we speak and write in English as much as we can. So please correct my English if there is anything wrong. I need to improve on my skills.

Nicolas,
padel es "poëlle"? coma "sartan" o "fornet"?
mjd   Friday, February 06, 2004, 07:56 GMT
Guilhem,

You seem to write pretty well...some suggestions:

"Your Occitan is very impressive for someone who has taught HIMSELF. Even MORE impressive is that you learned it while living in Paris! Many people who speak Occitan at home do not even know how to write in the language. ARE YOU SPEAKING IN the auvernhat dialect?"

"I need to improve UPON my skills."

These are minor suggestions. Like I said, you seem to speak English pretty well and I understood everything with ease.
vincent   Friday, February 06, 2004, 08:09 GMT
to Guilhem,

the dialect i use is not auvergnat but vivaro-alpin,a macro-dialect (like gascon,provençal,limousin,lengadocian,etc...) which extends from Yssingeaux (43) till the italian alpine valleys (les vallées vaudoises italiennes).But first I learned the standard occitan (=lengadocian) when i was 15.En tout cas thank you for your congratulations.I hope being able to come in toulouse.What is sad is I had begun to make a licence (par équivalence car alors j'avais déjà un DEUG d'histoire) of occitan par correspondance with the university of Montpellier mais devant l'ampleur de la tâche j'ai tout abandonné.It was too hard, there was medieval litterature and I didn't know the techniques for analysing,etc...Aital me sento un pauc vergonhos aub l'occitan.

See ya!
nicolas   Friday, February 06, 2004, 08:51 GMT
To all guys who responded to hythloday, just ignore him! That kind of assholes are everywhere, they don't know borders, the only thing to do is to ignore him and he will feel so alone he won't insist.

To vincent, I have 3 yers in "pension", school when you stay all the week in Le Puy en Velay, it's actually 20 km to the south of Yssingeaux. That's true Yssingeaux is not auvergnat like le Puy en velay which in Le Velay. My mother is from Langeac with is the beginning of les Cévennes. But all that countries are administratively considered of being in Auvergne. That's true what mjd said it looks a lot like auvergnat occitan which is logic because because auvergnats are historically their neighbours.

Did you know these dialects "vivaro alpins have a lot of common points with piémontais (franco provençal).
nicolas   Friday, February 06, 2004, 08:52 GMT
I use my keyboard too fast : "i have been 3 years at ..."
Guilhem   Friday, February 06, 2004, 09:09 GMT
mjd,
Thanks for your input and your complement.

vincent,
"What is sad is I had begun to make a licence of occitan par correspondance with the university of Montpellier mais devant l'ampleur de la tâche j'ai tout abandonné."

C'est malheureux. Montpellier is a beautiful city. But not as beautiful as Toulouse!
To Nicolas   Friday, February 06, 2004, 09:12 GMT
Nicolas, don't call Hythloday an "asshole". He's got his point of view, and you've got yours. However, I don't really agree with Hythloday. England is a beautiful country and I love this one, but France has been really more impressive to me...
nicolas   Friday, February 06, 2004, 09:58 GMT
Hythloday is an asshole because he is racist. I do not have any problems with peolple who like their country. I never said England was bad and i respect people from everywhere. His point of view is the same as a nazi who thought german culture was the best.
nicolas again   Friday, February 06, 2004, 10:00 GMT
If someone talk to me about his country, i will listen him with pleasure. but not that kind of guy who's looking for provocation, i am not interested about that.
Adam   Monday, February 09, 2004, 00:42 GMT
England is the most multi-culturally diverse country in Europe. It is like the US- a nation built up of immigrants from all over the world. Anyone who thinks it isn't diverse must be insane.
Adam   Monday, February 09, 2004, 00:47 GMT
Nicola, Why is Hythloday a racist? Is it because he is English and he is proud to be English? That must mean that you are racist because you are French and you are proud to be French.
to adam   Monday, February 09, 2004, 01:12 GMT
it's because Hythloday keeps posting messages maligning the French, Americans, and whoever else isn't British, all while touting the superiority of the British culture. Criticizing other cultures is one thing, but calling them "surrender-monkeys" and other derogatory names is quite another.
Adam   Monday, February 09, 2004, 01:15 GMT
You will find that it was an AMERICAN NEWSPAPER that invented "surrender-monkeys." This American newspaper said that the French are "cheese-eating surrender-monkeys." It was also the Americans who called France and Germany the "Axis of Weasels."
Adam   Monday, February 09, 2004, 01:21 GMT
If I could choose between British or French culture, I would choose British. In fact, Britain is the country that most French people who emigrate move to. The French could choose to live in many countries, but the fact that most French emigrants decide to live in the UK says it all.