come on over

montoya   Friday, January 30, 2004, 23:50 GMT
the other day i listened to a song called come on over by cristina aguilera.i asked my teacher what's the meaning of come on over . she replied , it is similar to come on. can anyone confirm this please
Eastie   Saturday, January 31, 2004, 04:19 GMT
Come on over (to my house, my table, my booth, my corner of the bar/nightclub, or wherever I might be at the time) = pay me a visit.
montoya   Sunday, February 01, 2004, 02:16 GMT
thanks .but i have another doubt.can i use come over instead of come on over.
mjd   Sunday, February 01, 2004, 02:23 GMT
Yes, "come over" and "come on over" mean the same thing....."come over" is more common.
montoya   Sunday, February 01, 2004, 02:49 GMT

thank you. i still have another doubt. shouldi use come on over only commands or should i use it in other types of sentences? eg.in affirmative sentences.can you give me a situation example, please?
mjd   Sunday, February 01, 2004, 07:39 GMT
Here are some example dialogues:

Example 1
JOHN (calling Mary on the phone): "Hey, Mary. What are you up to tonight?"

MARY: "Not much. I'm just watching tv."

JOHN: "Oh, I just rented a movie. Come over, we'll watch it together."

Example 2

STEVE: "Where is Bill? I thought he was going to be here tonight."

ROB: "I don't know. I called him an hour ago and told him to come over, but he still hasn't shown up yet."

I hope these examples have helped you.
montoya   Sunday, February 01, 2004, 20:48 GMT
how about these phrases: come over here and come on over here.Are they the same as come over, as well?
montoya   Sunday, February 01, 2004, 23:10 GMT
can somebody teach me the meanings and usages of come on, now?
Jim   Sunday, February 01, 2004, 23:57 GMT
You can use "come on (over)" in other ways besides commands, e.g., "He came over late night."

Also "come on" has other meanings too, e.g., "Come on, you can't expect us to believe that that was the real mjd writing that crap in the post above.", "I'll fight ya, mate, come on!" or "She came over as a bit of a nasty so-and-so."

Have a look at http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/results.asp?searchword=come&image.x=26&image.y=9 maybe you'll find something interseting there. Or search the web for uses of the phrases.
montoya   Monday, February 02, 2004, 02:46 GMT
example:

TREV:good morning, dad I'm home

DAD:Trev, come on over here and sit down

in this sentence. i don't think trev's dad wants him to pay him a visit.In this context I think trev's dad wants him to move toward him.So come on over may mean come here and NOT pay me a visit as Eastie said before.
I don't say Eastie is wrong, it's just that I think it could mean something else I'm not sure.
Eastie   Monday, February 02, 2004, 03:34 GMT
In my original definition, I was taking into context the Christina Aguilera song that you mentioned. In that instance, she's beckoning someone to come and pay her a visit.

In the scenario that you just posted above, yes, come on over would be the same as "come here -- move towards me".
Eastie   Monday, February 02, 2004, 03:42 GMT
montoya, with all due respect, it seems to me that your teacher isn't as well-versed in English as you are. First, she tells you that "come on over" is the same as "come on", then in another post you mention that she said "jam" is the same as "jamón". I would definitely take what she says with a grain of salt.
mjd   Monday, February 02, 2004, 04:29 GMT
Another way that the expression "come on" is used is to refer to flirting with someone in a rather aggressive manner. When used in this way, the phrase usually reads "He/She was coming on to me."

As Jim pointed out, that lewd post was the work of the same individual who posted all of the racist garbage several days ago. Hey, he's going to do what he's going to do and there's nothing we can do to stop him (Well we can tell him he's a loser, but I don't think it'll do much good)....BTW, Faker, since when do I begin all words with capital letters?
montoya   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 01:50 GMT
thanks a lot for your answers