Portuguese declination system is complex.

SagaSon   Tuesday, February 24, 2004, 05:00 GMT
Very complex, see how it is complex

Gato
Gata
Gatos
Gatas

clap your hands for the magnific declination system.
mjd   Tuesday, February 24, 2004, 05:28 GMT
It's not that complex, SagaSon.

"O gato está na cama."
"Os gatos estão na cama."

"A gata está a comer."
"As gatas estão a comer."

Very simple.
Juan   Tuesday, February 24, 2004, 05:52 GMT
ROFL
mjd   Tuesday, February 24, 2004, 06:11 GMT
SagaSon (or whoever continues to bring this up time and time again) seems to think that lack of complexity equals inferiority or easiness (This, of course, is ridiculous in that Portuguese is by no means easy).
mjd   Tuesday, February 24, 2004, 06:17 GMT
He's also wrong about the lack of a schwa. I'd say "me" has a "schwa" sound (or something very similar to it) in European Portuguese.

"Ele deu-me a caneta." (He gave me the pen)

In Brazil they'd say: "Ele me deu a caneta."

"Me" would sound more like "mee" or "mi" in the Brazilian pronunciation, but in Portugal it sounds more like "muh" or "meh."
Lou   Tuesday, February 24, 2004, 08:07 GMT
the endings:
singular masculine
Lou   Tuesday, February 24, 2004, 08:13 GMT
sorry
the endings:
singular masculine
plural masculine
singular feminine
plural masculine

What's the problem? That's just how it is, those are the rules, I learnt them and use them and don't even think about the why and wherefore - I want to speak.
My basic Portuguese course is coming to an end now and I've thoroughly enjoyed it.
I think when learning a language ,the first thing is to be open and know that the language one is learning is not just a translation of one's own language but has it's very own system of order.
I can't bear students who mutter about English and have even on occasion called it a stupid language, because they have come into the class with the wrong idea, are not open or are not willing to respect the order of another language, and just too plain lazy to study properly.
mjd   Tuesday, February 24, 2004, 08:57 GMT
It's obvious to anyone that it isn't complicated. SagaSon is trying to be sarcastic by saying it should be more complex. His odd reasoning is the more complex, the better.
Lou   Tuesday, February 24, 2004, 08:59 GMT
Ah well!
mjd   Tuesday, February 24, 2004, 09:03 GMT
I'll second that.
Antonio   Thursday, February 26, 2004, 12:20 GMT
Singular/plural isn´t a declension.
The real and only declensions Portuguese still has are "a", "o" and "e".
Get better informed as to what a "declension" is.

I do schwa´s all the time in Portuguese