Phrases

Juan   Tuesday, March 02, 2004, 01:37 GMT
"Getting away with blue murder"

What does this phrase mean?

Thanks in advance.
Juan   Tuesday, March 02, 2004, 01:41 GMT
I know it's something getting away with something. But why "blue murder"? How can a murder be blue?
Juan   Tuesday, March 02, 2004, 01:46 GMT
Correction

I know it's someone getting away with something.
dd   Tuesday, March 02, 2004, 02:28 GMT
It may mean "avoid bad mood!"
Carruthers   Tuesday, March 02, 2004, 04:12 GMT
"Getting away with blue murder"

This phrase is a combination of two sayings:

He/she is getting away with murder - means a person has unjustly been exonerated of a crime, indiscretion, or responsibility. Or that society or an authority figure has turned a blind eye and deaf ear to another's questionable actions. Think of how a younger sibling was able to shirk so much responsibility while you had to slave away doing household chores. Unfair!

To "cry blue murder" means "to make an extravagant outcry or lamentation"; it can also mean "a loud or alarming noise, a great commotion, din, or disturbance". It's sometimes used as an intensifier to mean "a considerable degree or magnitude".

The expression "blue murder" seems to have begun life as a pun on the French exclamation morbleu. When something terrible happened a Frenchman would cry out "mort Dieu" ("God’s death!" In other words, "how terrible!"). This became morbleu and was translated as "blue death" or "blue murder". "Blue" has a history of being used as the colour of plagues and all things hurtful, thus making "blue" an adjective of alarm.
Juan   Saturday, March 06, 2004, 01:10 GMT
Thanks Carruthers.
mjd   Thursday, March 11, 2004, 20:15 GMT
I've never heard of getting away with "blue murder." The saying I'm familiar with is "to get away with bloody murder."
Juan   Thursday, March 11, 2004, 22:15 GMT
<<mjd is not fit to be a moderator>>

Too late, he already is. Seem to enjoying it too :-) Hope that all that power doesn't go to his head. Wish you all the best mjd.
mjd   Thursday, March 11, 2004, 23:11 GMT
I'll do my best to remember I'm just a mere mortal, Juan.

Thanks for the kind words.
phil   Monday, March 15, 2004, 21:29 GMT
JUAN .............. CHILL OUT... BLUE MURDER ALSO MEANS BEING A BLUE BLOOD AND GETTING AWAY WITH NO RESPONSIBILITY BECAUSE OF IT.
THE ACT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THAT OF MURDER PER SAY, BUT GENERALLY MEANS SOMETHING BIGGER THAN LIFE.
ALSO THAT BECAUSE OF YOUR STANDING YOU GET AWAY WITH EVERYTHING YOU DO WRONG, OR NEVER HAVING TO DO ANYTHING.