Second Civil War

Simon   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 07:40 GMT
Yes but why can't Scotland just be a separate nation officially? Within the context of the EU (which to remind you, we are already in and don't intend to leave) Scottish people would still be able to work in England and vice versa.

You assert that Scotland has its own laws etc. and that it is under the control of Westminster but... you don't explain what the point of that is. Scotland could be totally independent and in many instances already is.

British really does mostly now refer to cultural, political and legal realities confined to England.

Where is Westminster? Where (roughly) are you from?
Ginny Weasley   Wednesday, March 10, 2004, 07:24 GMT
Hello friends,

Say 'English' when you are talking about England because if British=English, then we would have to say 'Unitedkingdomish' when we are tallking about England + Scotland + Wales + Northern Ireland and 'Unitedkingdomish' just isn't a word.

Westminster is a borough in London.
I am from Leeds. It's in Northern England and it's larger than Manchester and Liverpool. My alter ego is from Ottery St Catchpole in Devon. Ottery St Catchpole isn't a real place but Devon is a county in the south.
Adam   Wednesday, March 10, 2004, 08:40 GMT
Westminster is in England, but it ISN'T the English Parliament. England doesn't have a Parliament. The Parliament in Washington DC isn't the Washington DC Parliament just because it's in Washington DC.

I wish you would stop saying that Britain, for cultural, political and legal reasons is confined to England, because it isn't. Most laws in Scotland are the same as those in England. Tony Blair is Scottish, for God's sake. Gordon Brown, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, is Scottish. ALL the laws in Wales are exactly the same as those in England. There are no laws in Wales that are different from those in England.

What do you mean "What is the point of Scotland being under the control of Westminster?" BUT, also, what is the point of ENGLAND being under the control of Westminster? What is the point of California being under the control of Washington DC?
Simon   Wednesday, March 10, 2004, 09:33 GMT
Look at a map. Dig out a history book. Try to figure out under what circumstances independent countries were brought together. Learn about the reality of legislation throughout the United Kingdom. Learn about the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh Assembly. Read the Treaty of Union that formed the United kingdom of Great Britain.

Westminster is practically as far from Scotland as you can get. Brussels is closer to London than Edinburgh is.

I would either like a truly United Kingdom in the sense that wherever I was in the United Kingdom, the same laws would I apply and it would fit within my psychological nation. Or I would like people in England to face up to the fact that their lives (including Britain) is largely confined to England and we go our separate ways.

But what there is at the moment is a lie that UK is formed by the clever blending of Wales, Scotland, England and Northern Ireland although the other three apart from England always seem to have an opt out and see England as somewhere else.

It is all really pointless. The Unionists in Northern Ireland are also patriotic about Britain but it is a different Britain based on the Unionism and the Protestant ascension.

England being a separate country is a necessity precisely because the racists will have nowhere to hide. England will be modern and multicultural.

I would love to have as my country one that really was a fusion between NI, Wales, Scotland and England. But that isn't the UK. UK is about London and different shades of control from London. It is totally pointless as a concept. The people in our country and those who continue to come from outside are what makes it great, interesting, open, and culturally diverse. Not a flag of three crosses and a bizarre collection of nations forming a single nation (er sometimes). Let's stop the confusion. Let's end the UK and concentrate on the real issues. Scotland and Wales are great places. They simply aren't my country.