Is Dutch harder than German???

ZakaZom   Friday, March 12, 2004, 03:22 GMT
???
Adam   Friday, March 12, 2004, 20:39 GMT
I think Dutch is harder than German. Without counting Frisian, Dutch is the most closely-related language to English, and English is the most difficult European language.
pobre_diablo   Friday, March 12, 2004, 21:01 GMT
English is not the hardest european language. Dont talk bull*shit
Chilli   Friday, March 12, 2004, 21:10 GMT
I think it's probably one of those things where for every dozen arguments you can find that agree, there will be twelve others that disagree. From putting the phrase into Google "hardest Eurpoean language" the first three links that appeared were:
1) ...English is toughest European language to read...
2) ...English is not the hardest language to learn... and
3) ...you think/argue that english is the hardest or one of the hardest languages to learn...

[http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99991233]
[http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/helppo_20kieli]
[http://www.bitwaste.com/wasted-bits/archives/000037.html]
[online] Accessed: 21:09 12th March 2004
ZakaSom   Saturday, March 13, 2004, 03:01 GMT
<b>Adam Friday, March 12, 2004, 20:39 GMT
I think Dutch is harder than German. Without counting Frisian, Dutch is the most closely-related language to English, and English is the most difficult European language. </b>

Is it really hard??? No verb conjugation, no gender. what the shit is hard in English language???
paul   Monday, March 15, 2004, 15:51 GMT
Everyone says Basque is the hardest European language to learn.
Finnish, Estonian and Hungarian are inherently much more difficult than English.
English has debatably the worst spelling, but that is not the only criteria.
Do a google on the other languages if you don't believe me.

Regards, Paul V.
ZakaZom   Sunday, March 21, 2004, 12:59 GMT
French spelling is the rwost
Katherine   Monday, March 22, 2004, 17:39 GMT
The difficulty of any language is all relative and depends on your mother tongue. Dutch is extremely close to English and it lacks many of the grammatical complexities that German has. If you are a native English speaker, Dutch would definitely be easier than German.
all the sheep   Friday, March 26, 2004, 23:40 GMT
in dutch there are no ablativ, no dativ and no akkusativ only nominativ and a simple genitiv (the substantiv +s)
so it is much easier than german.
nic   Tuesday, March 30, 2004, 11:27 GMT
for french speaker, i can tell you german is very difficult, more than english.

Katherine is right, it depends of your native language. All latin people do not have any difficulties with feminine or masculin words. An italian will directly know a car is feminine in french, like a spanish nows a car is feminie in iatlian.
To be and to have is used differently between latin and english.....

So, this is why polish will be easier to learn for a russian, italian will be easier for a french, a roumanian etc.

It depends the family where you are from
jordi   Tuesday, March 30, 2004, 17:10 GMT
Nic,
I regret to inform that "car" is masculine in Spanish: "un coche" is "une voiture" in French. Genders do not always correspond in Latin languages. The Sea is "la mer" in French but it can either be "el mar" o "la mar" in Spanish, and so on, and so on... As a matter of fact "el mar" is more widespread than "la mar" in European Spanish, at least. They are, of course, exceptions but any Frenchman who has studied Spanish will tell you there are quite a few too many. There are quite a few gender differences between Catalan and Spanish, which are both Iberian Latin Languages.
Miguel   Tuesday, March 30, 2004, 18:39 GMT
>I regret to inform that "car" is masculine in Spanish: "un coche"<

Latin American Spanish: "un carro"
nic   Wednesday, March 31, 2004, 07:21 GMT
oooops, so,it means french and italian are closer but not spanish.
nic again   Wednesday, March 31, 2004, 07:22 GMT
but in fact i am not wrong because coche is masculin in french too, so...
nic to jordi   Wednesday, March 31, 2004, 07:41 GMT
from french accademic dictionnaire :

"\ Alleure, signifie aussi, Sorte de voiture. L'Alleure
du carrosse est plus commode que celle du coche ."

so as you can see it works