WHY IS EVERYBODY FORGETTING ABOUT CANADA???

Antimoon   Monday, March 15, 2004, 03:25 GMT
Bathroom, restroom, washroom, loo, lavatory, john, water closet, portapotty, outhouse, half bath etc.
Anna   Monday, March 15, 2004, 03:26 GMT
Mariya,
You are the only Canadian that i know that says SORI....LOL...oh well...anywayz....if Alaska is conected to Canada...would the people have a Canadian accent??? But I would definetly say that British accents are much cuter than the common American accent...oh well....
Anna
mjd   Monday, March 15, 2004, 06:02 GMT
Jack,

Yeah, I am from the East Coast.
Adam   Monday, March 15, 2004, 09:15 GMT
The US is connected to Canada, so would they not have Canadian accents?
Anonimous By-stander   Monday, March 15, 2004, 17:08 GMT
Have you guys noticed that every 1 out of 5 people in Canada in either Asian or Indian, not that I have anything against them, its just that in some time white people are going to become a minority! Therefore most common language mioght become Asian or Indian, oh well I want to move to Paris anyway lol
Mariya   Monday, March 15, 2004, 17:14 GMT
English being so plain (sorry) needs sexy British or hot spanish accents to spice it up!
French is such a great language! Its so beautiful to speak it doesn't need anything.

Anonimous By-stander, yes I noticed that while being on the highway just look out and it prooves what you said...but I disagree, English will never stop being the main language in Canada.
Rachel   Monday, March 15, 2004, 17:15 GMT
anonymous bystander: what language is "asian"?

To the rest: I think the essential difference is that Canadians know how to spell. colOUr.
Da Camel   Monday, March 15, 2004, 17:17 GMT
Le francais sera l'unique language "soon" in Canada
anonymous bystander   Monday, March 15, 2004, 17:25 GMT
Asian being Chinese, Japanese, Mandarin, etc.
Mariya   Monday, March 15, 2004, 17:29 GMT
I chose Latin as one of my corses, thinking it would help me with French and English, I am starting to wonder if that is really true...
My question ---> will learning latin help me with other languages?
Another thought->Is Latin is a dead language??
Jack   Monday, March 15, 2004, 17:35 GMT
Yes, Latin is a dead language.
wassabi   Monday, March 15, 2004, 20:51 GMT
well, since we're used to the American/Candian accent (for the most part), we figure we have no accent therefore it's un-unique (i dunno if that's even a word), and un-sexy (ditto), but to some Europeans, they probably think otherwise, in fact they probably think what we think about our accent. funny how it is...
English   Monday, March 15, 2004, 20:56 GMT
The Latin Language was a parent of mine.
Chilli   Tuesday, March 16, 2004, 10:46 GMT
>>will learning latin help me with other languages?

Well, it should help with Latin-based languages like French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian etc, but lots of languages either borrow words or rules from Latin as well (not forgetting English).

I suppose it's a bit like if you could play the violin or piano. If you suddenly decide to start playing the flute aswell, you would already have a head start, in theory, and it would be easier for you than for someone who has never played an instrument at all.
mjd   Tuesday, March 16, 2004, 11:09 GMT
Rachel said: "To the rest: I think the essential difference is that Canadians know how to spell. colOUr."

I think way too many people make a big deal out of the minor differences in spelling between British and American English. These types of differences occur in other languages too. Take Portuguese, for example. Here are some examples of differences between Portuguese and Brazilian spellings:

(Port/Braz)

óptimo/ótimo
acção/ação
facto/fato [this one is significant in that "facto" means fact in Portugal, while "fato" means suit....in Brazil "fato" is fact]

súbdito/súdito
ideia/idéia
crónica/crônica
António/Antônio

These are just a few examples.