Pakistan

John   Monday, March 15, 2004, 03:06 GMT
How do you pronounce the a's in this name? Do you pronounce it [pa:k..sta:n] ''pah-kuh-stahn'' or [p@k..st@n] ''pack-uh-stan''?
URAMORON   Monday, March 15, 2004, 17:46 GMT
"PACK YOUR STAND" AND LEAVE!!!!
Samurai Jack   Monday, March 15, 2004, 19:54 GMT
it's puck-e-stahn.
Boy   Tuesday, March 16, 2004, 04:15 GMT
Good question. I'm a native speaker of the country. I use [pa:k..sta:n]
cause that's correct and heard all my life that way but I was shocked to see that an American didn't understand it at first hand when I introduced myself where I came from. He corrected my version and repeated it again by saying: [p@k..st@n] - which one is appropriate, judge by yourself.
Jim   Tuesday, March 16, 2004, 04:34 GMT
Boy,

You ought to have thrown his "correction" right back at him: if you're from Pakistan, then you should know how it's pronounced.
mjd   Tuesday, March 16, 2004, 04:36 GMT
I pronounce it [p@k..st@n]...just like Boy says. I'd say this is the most common pronunciation in the U.S.
Imran   Tuesday, March 16, 2004, 19:38 GMT
It is pronounced as PAk-IS-TAN. In first and last syllable 'A' is pronounced exactly the same way as in 'CAR' and 'BAR' rather than 'A' in 'BACK' and 'JACK'. I come from Pakistan, too.
Elaine   Tuesday, March 16, 2004, 22:17 GMT
[p@k..st@n] is how we Americans are accustomed to pronouncing it. Sorry if this is wrong.
Jim   Wednesday, March 17, 2004, 03:08 GMT
mjd,

What do you mean "just like Boy says"? Boy wrote that he used [pa:k..sta:n].
mjd   Wednesday, March 17, 2004, 04:02 GMT
Yeah, I was a bit unclear. I meant his characterization of how Americans pronounce it. It's definitely true. I suppose it's just our accent.