What accent is Ali G?

Egg Mayannaise   Sunday, March 21, 2004, 00:14 GMT
Ali G is shown in HBO in America, I thought he was Jamaican, but I've heard that he's British. So what British accent has he got? Or is he supposed to have a Jamaican accent?

btw. I know the character Ali G isn't real, and is played by Sacha Bohen Cohen.
Juan   Sunday, March 21, 2004, 01:13 GMT
Have you seen the final episode? It was hilarious. I think some gridiron coach was about to kill him simply for complimenting him on his appearance. What a tosser. I can't get enough this show.
pobre_diablo   Sunday, March 21, 2004, 03:05 GMT
it sucks
Juan   Sunday, March 21, 2004, 09:47 GMT
Come on now!! Where's your sense of humour?
Ed   Sunday, March 21, 2004, 13:44 GMT
People actually speak like Ali G in certain parts of London, mainly because of Jamaican/African immigration.
Alexis   Sunday, March 21, 2004, 17:56 GMT
I know he's a Jewish Russian and that he moved to Israel and later to England. so his accent can be either Russian or Israelite <or maybe a mix of it's both> or he's just playing around..pretending to be Jamaican or somthing like that..

hope I helped
Alex
Morris   Sunday, March 21, 2004, 19:12 GMT
The character Ali G is played by Sacha Bohen Cohen.

Sacha Bohen Cohen was born in England, lived also in Wales, schooled at Oxford University. His mother his Welsh, and his father I think is from Israel. His normal accent is normal southern English accent.

The character Ali G is supposed to be from Staines, which is a suburb of London. His accent isn't Russian, or Jamaican, some British kids that live in London actually speak just like him. You only have to listen to the BBC radio channel 1xtra, to find others that speak like him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/index.shtml?logo

or

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio
Adam   Monday, March 22, 2004, 09:08 GMT
He comes from Staines in Berkshire, so I suppose he has a Staines accent.

I've got his video of all the best bits from his series. At the beginning, he says "Thanks for buying my vid. You shudda just nicked it, innit? All proceeds from this vid are going to charity, because there is a serious drought in Berkshire this year, with people finding very difficult to buy weed."
Adam   Monday, March 22, 2004, 09:15 GMT
"Coming at ya like Cleopatra! Welcome to my vid. Me appreciates ya buying this vid as their is a lot of choice out there. Personally, I would've bought "Goodwill Humping." I can't believe how many of you bought my vid last year. You shudda just nicked it, innit? Ain't I taught you nuffink? I am making this a charity video. The proceeds are going back into the ghetto of Staines. As you may know, there is a serious shortage in Berkshire this year, with people finding it impossible to get hold of some good skank. Evn young kids and pregnant mums is having to go without."
Paul   Monday, March 22, 2004, 16:09 GMT
Comedians push the envelope too much, and should not be used as an accent model.
mjd   Tuesday, March 23, 2004, 07:56 GMT
Here's an Ali G translator. Just type in the text and it's supposed to "translate" it into how Ali G speaks.

http://www.mackers.com/alig/

Is it accurate? I'm not familiar with his show.