what does everyone think about australia as a whole!

moomin   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 22:56 GMT
I think if you were going to put them into groups......

language:
Australia // Canada // Ireland // N. Zealand // United States // UK.

sport:
Australia // Ireland // N. Zealand // UK.

form of government (constitutional monarchy)
Australia // Canada // N. Zealand // UK.

political beliefs (i.e leftwing, rightwing, or central)
Australia // Ireland // Canada // N. Zealand // UK. (central)

fashion

music

cuisine

odd one out
3x USA
1x Canada
1x Ireland
moomin   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 23:03 GMT
But, what about other countries that the UK share similiar culture with?

take UK // Holland // Germany // France

language:
UK // Holland // (Dutch speak English and even use British slang)

sport:
UK // Holland // Germany // France

form of government (republic)
Holland // Germany // France

political beliefs (i.e leftwing, rightwing, or central)
Holland // Germany // France (left)

fashion
Holland // Germany // France // UK

music

cuisine

odd one out
2x UK
moomin   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 23:09 GMT
I've just remembered that Holland have a constitutional monarchy just like the UK.

And if you've ever lived in Holland you would come up with the conclusion that Dutch people have more incommon with British people than British people have with Americans.

I honestly reckon that despite what many people think, Britain shares more incommon with France/Germany/Belgium and scandinavian countries than the US.
Simon   Friday, April 09, 2004, 08:26 GMT
Yes, I think you could be right about an international urban culture. Especially as some important cities (i.e. capitals etc.) tend to have a much more varied ethnic mix than other places in the same country.
Toto in Oz   Friday, April 09, 2004, 22:24 GMT
I'm American, and I've been to Australia. Spent time in Cairns, Atherton, Brisbane, Sydney, and Melbourne. Scuba dove the GBR off Cairns. Hiked through lots of rain forest. Saw the fairy penguins on Phillips Island...

I like the north better. Climate is nicer. People are more laid-back, casual and friendly. Accent is broader and more fun. Seems like people from Sydney are trying to put on a posh british accent and class air, and deny their honorable Aussie roots. What a shame. Melbournites are a lot less pretentious. My apologies to Sydney people - it's just my impression. I'm sure most of you are very nice!

It was quite a surprise, coming from Texas to Oz. In Queensland for example, people drive pickups, listen to country music, drink mass quantities of beer, and flirt. In other words, it's like a parallel universe, only the accent is off and they drive on the 'wrong' side of the road (well so do some Texans after mass quantities of beer...) Why, some white Australians even mistreat the native people. Just like US I'm ashamed to say...

Australians don't seem to have the same hangups about religion and sex that Americans have, which is refreshing. The "Shelias" I met were quite ... uh ... aggressive :)

Never got to the Outback which I really want to see, or to the west (Perth etc)

I LOVE OZ!
Belinda   Thursday, April 15, 2004, 00:34 GMT
wawawaw what r u on? do u even know the situation going on in australia? i am aboriginal myself and i have to agree with connie. I think australian aboriginals get to much as it is. so they were disrespected ages ago but what can we do about it now. it wasnt the 'white' australians of todays society that did the wrongs...why should they have to make it right. aboriginals get everything paid for they get a hell of a lot more money then 'white' australians. aboriginals are looked after well...maybe the government should start treating 'white' australians with the same respect as aboriginals. as i said i am aboriginal and i have the opportunity to get my schooling paid for and houses to live in but where is the honour in that? i think we should all be treated equally. I suggest wawawaw that you research before you start making accusations!
Belinda   Thursday, April 15, 2004, 01:13 GMT
I totally support PM Howard!
Simone   Thursday, April 15, 2004, 01:24 GMT
I think australia is an awesome place...im so lucky to be living in such a wonderful place
sURFER gURL   Thursday, April 15, 2004, 02:10 GMT
TOTO IN OZ IM SO GLAD YOU LIKED AUSTRALIA.....IT WAS INTERESTING TO HEAR HOW SIMILAR TEXAS IS TO AUSTRALIA...I COME FROM THE GOLD COAST...QUEENSLAND...I AGREE WITH YOU THAT SYDNEY PEOPLE SEEM A LIL UP IN THE AIR...I WENT THERE FOR A HOLIDAY AND I FOUND THAT THE PEOPLE THERE WERE RUDE AND HAD THEIR NOSES UP IN THE AIR.
Adam   Thursday, April 15, 2004, 11:03 GMT
nic Monday, April 05, 2004, 11:16 GMT
we don't know anything about australians in France. So far.......
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The French don't know much about any country outside of France.
Simon   Thursday, April 15, 2004, 11:50 GMT
Stop this cowardly American weasel-led French-bashing campaign.
nic   Thursday, April 15, 2004, 12:50 GMT
Adam,

It seems Adam, you like clichés to write things like that. Because Australia is far away from France, because this is a continent which has important relations with Asia and America, we don't know a lot of things about the australians and their country. Many americans don't know anything about the french, many british don't know anything about the french and of course some french don't know anything americans or who ever you want.

If i had to classify you, you will be in this section.
Dennis   Thursday, April 15, 2004, 14:50 GMT
I think Australia is a place where England used to send its undesirables. I think that also says a lot about the place now too: undesirable.
Paul   Thursday, April 15, 2004, 15:07 GMT
Austrialia is nice. A little too extrovert for us cool canadians. We get along better with the New Zealanders.

Just hard to get to. Lots in common. We have our own Outback, with a bit more rock and Mud.

Regards from the far North.