NEW ORLEANS : do they all speak english nowaday or

Curious here today   Wednesday, April 07, 2004, 07:18 GMT
do some people still speak french?
Andy   Wednesday, April 07, 2004, 07:31 GMT
No i don't but my gran does it. In Baton Rouge we all understand some few french, but we learn english today and use it every time.
john   Wednesday, April 07, 2004, 08:09 GMT
better, french is useless
to john   Wednesday, April 07, 2004, 11:31 GMT
i don't think so, i still use french in family and won't never forget where i come from. I am from Baton Rouge and my ancestors were swiss who spoke french. Because of guys like you, i enjoy my difference. With guys like i feel special. I thank you. A la revoyure gros connassier que tu es John!

Bonjour la France, on est encore queques uns à parloyer le franceais chez nous autres. Même s'il est un peu different, ce n'est point grave. Vive la France, vive la Nouvelle Orléans!!!!

Mes amitiés, Allan Riviere
french man from France   Wednesday, April 07, 2004, 11:33 GMT
Do you really speak french in New Orleans with your family? I thought french speaking was over.
vincent   Wednesday, April 07, 2004, 12:11 GMT
To Allan,

I like the way you speak french: "parloyer, connassier, ce n'est point grave". It seems as if we listened to a french speaker from the XVII th century. I don't laugh at you Allan, it's just I like this way of speaking french, it seems more authentic. The french we speak nowadays in France has lost its "natural aspect", it seems more artificial than yours.

Allan, tu te considères comme Cajun ou Cajun désigne autre chose? Bon courage et fais vivre notre langue!

Un salut amical depuis l'Ile de France
Allan   Wednesday, April 07, 2004, 12:49 GMT
i am and i FEEL cajun. But Baton Rouge is not in the Cajun area, my culture is cajun and i think solidarity with my brothers is necessary. We can understand each others in french writings but i am asking myself if we could understand us in french speaking. I don't understand for example someone who speaks "creol" a part a few words like peclo, piquer une buche and others.

L'anglais n'arrestra point le cajun qui est testu de parloyer!

Here's a site if you're interested (written by french from France :

http://mapage.noos.fr/jrichez/PaysCajun.html
vincent   Wednesday, April 07, 2004, 13:28 GMT
to Allan,

thanks a lot for your response, i'm going to watch this web site. Do you know if there is some book to learn the "cajun french" like yours? I'd like to learn it.
Lavoisel   Wednesday, April 07, 2004, 15:15 GMT
Aye, Vincent. Cajun French is very beautiful indeed!

Allan, I have heard some Cajun on tely lately, and I had no trouble to understand them, although I had to pay a bit more attention than if I had been listening to a French. I think there is absolutly no equivalent for this charming accent in the whole Francophonie.
French speakers from different area can easily understand each other, provided they don't use too much local lingo.
Allan   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 07:57 GMT
Vincent,

lexique cajun :

www.lexilogos.com/acadien.htm+dictionnaire+cajun&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8

Je ne connais point, peut être ce te sera utile.
In every case, you will be welcome especially if you are french or speak french.

Lavoisel, where have you been? I ask you that because people here are easier to understand in cities. It's not especially the case with farmers for example.

Here are some other sites if you interested :

http://www.acadie.net/

http://www.cajunculture.com/

http://www.umoncton.ca/etudeacadiennes/centre/cea.html#RENSEIGNEMENTS

Don't forget you are all welcome!
the lexique's does not   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 08:03 GMT
vincent   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 09:01 GMT
to Allan,

Thanks a lot for your invitation. In majority the US hate us since the Iraq affair, only the Cajuns still appreciate us. Longue vie à la Louisiane !
Allan   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 09:41 GMT
Vincent,

Not all the americans hate the french, only those who are stupid ! Some people are nice and are against the war in Iraq, some others (majority) do not like everyone : the french, the cajuns, the indians, the black....

American politic has been a shame for many minorities, that's why we like every people, but i must admit we especially like french and spanish.
Andy   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 11:33 GMT
Hi Allan,

Comment que c'est fait tu parloies le cajun en ta famille? Ma grande mie me le parle tout le temps. J'en parle un brun mais ne comprends point tout le temps.

Sorry for those who does not speak french cajun.