Things Webster forgot

Joe   Sunday, April 25, 2004, 12:51 GMT
There are a few things Webster forgot when he was changing spelling in American English. For one thing, He respelled most of the -our endings as
-or but left it in ''glamour''. He also changed ''re'' to ''er'' but didn't change ''acre'' to ''aker''.
Jim   Sunday, April 25, 2004, 23:32 GMT
Also, he forgot to consult with the British so that we all could have one spelling system instead of having two rival ones.
Jim   Tuesday, April 27, 2004, 04:44 GMT
"Regionalism and Informalism in any language are considered as a slang." This isn't true. I think the person who's posting this same thing onto every thread should read the dictionary (s)he seems to be cutting and pasting from. Regionalism, informalism and slang are three different things.
Willy   Sunday, May 02, 2004, 05:32 GMT
Who are making threads using my name. I've never typed about ridiculing our language.
Paul   Sunday, May 02, 2004, 06:23 GMT
Glamour is a recent borrowing from French. Probably after Webster fixed up the older French borrowing. At what does foreign load word, become English and get its spelling, Americanized. Foreign words with non-English spellings, should probably be put in quotes. "glamour" = "Dorathy Lamour"

I think the British use Jail, instead of gaol. So maybe the British are finally going along with Webster.

Regards, Paul V.
Jim   Thursday, May 06, 2004, 07:17 GMT
I doubt that the British will be going along with old Webster any time soon. Do you mean "fixed up" or "screwed up"? How do you presume that once a word becomes English its spelling should get Americanised? Putting foreign words with "non-English spellings" (What's an "English spelling" and what's "non-English" about "-our"?) in quotes would not only be unnessary and extemely tedious but would be a misuse of punctuation. What a terrible notion!