My hair is tall.

General_Ricardo   Monday, April 26, 2004, 00:49 GMT
Student 1:" My hair is tall"
Student 2:"Then,...."
Could you guys copmlete this dialouge between these 2 students for me. I'd say " go get it cut", or "get a hair cut" but my professor doesnt' like those ones. Do you guys have any other substitution for what I said?
General_Ricardo   Monday, April 26, 2004, 00:51 GMT
Please guys respond to me as soon as possible.
Jacob   Monday, April 26, 2004, 01:18 GMT
"Tall" is not an adjective normally used to describe hair, as far as I know. If student 1 said, "My hair is LONG" then "Get a haircut" is great. But I just can't imagine anyone saying "My hair is tall."
General_Ricardo   Monday, April 26, 2004, 02:18 GMT
Student 1: " My hair is long"
Student 2: " Then..."
I think " Get a hair cut" did not work with my teacher. you don't have any other ones?
Jim   Monday, April 26, 2004, 04:32 GMT
Student 1: "My hair is tall."
Student 2: "Then, you'd better get yourself a dictionary."
Student 1: "No really, my hair is tall."
Student 2: "Good heavens! You're right. It's standing up."
Student 1: "What should I do?"
Student 2: "Forget the barber. What you need is an exorcist."
hi,hi   Monday, April 26, 2004, 06:02 GMT
If your teacher accepts "My hair is tall", but not what Jacob said that is "Get a haircut", then change the teacher.
What Jim wrote is quite witty, hi,hi.
Danger Mouse   Monday, April 26, 2004, 09:47 GMT
I still don't get it. You can't have tall hair. Can you?
Elaine   Monday, April 26, 2004, 17:25 GMT
No, but you can have big hair.
Tex   Tuesday, April 27, 2004, 04:16 GMT
Only in east Texas. East Texas Big Hair looks best on middle-aged blonde women with plastic-framed cat-woman glasses.

Don King has tall hair. An absurdly coiffed ("over-the-top"?) pompadour can be tall. Punk spikes can be tall. The Afro is coming back in style; is it tall, or big?

To me, tall only applies to hair that sticks up vertically. I agree: a reasonable sentence would be "My hair is long." And a reasonable answer would be "Then get a haircut." Maybe the teacher didn't like "a hair cut" as separate words, because it could be misinterpreted as meaning getting one single hair cut?
Jim   Wednesday, April 28, 2004, 07:10 GMT
Big haired people exist outside of Texas ... inexplicable but true. Big hair is more horrid than tall hair. It may look "best on middle-aged blonde women with plastic-framed cat-woman glasses" but it never looks good.

What Tex writes about tall hair would make sense. I'd have to call Don King's hair tall.

I don't think of afros as tall and they're definitely a different beastie to big hair, maybe they're large, sizeable or even volumous.
/   Wednesday, April 28, 2004, 14:15 GMT
Dear General_Ricardo,

do you know the meaning of the words "please" and "thanks"?
Chilli   Wednesday, April 28, 2004, 15:41 GMT
As a wild guess, General Ricardo would know the meaning of at least one of these words, considering s/he used 'please' in her/his second post.

Incidentally, 'tall' is a weird adjective to use.
General_Ricardo   Thursday, April 29, 2004, 11:52 GMT
Dear /
Yeah, I know the meaning of "please" and "thanx". But my laptop was down for a while and I couldn't check the replies.
Hahoo   Sunday, May 02, 2004, 11:28 GMT
Chilli,
What's the word "wild" mean in your sentence "as a wild guess"?
Chilli   Monday, May 03, 2004, 16:04 GMT
Wild: meaning 'out there' or 'slightly crazy' or 'mad'.

It makes more sense if you think of it as slightly sarcastic.